Saturday, April 20, 2024

X Marks The Spot...

 

A treasure map?  No.  But we got a text yesterday that the storage facility is done with their work over our spot and they want us to move back.

We got out reasonably early this morning and got the coach and cargo trailer back into our site...




 Between that first and second shot, we put tire covers on.  Joan got those snazzy silver and blue covers from Vine... the price was right.  We closed up and locked everything and headed back home.

Joan has work to do with her new part-time "job": Vine reviewer... it takes time to "shop" on there, get stuff ordered, then photographed for a review.  Fortunately, she can do it at her own pace and sit out on the patio with the furry boy while she posts.

In the meantime, I'm taking her Xmax for a ride.  Yeah, that's the "X" for the title.  It was already into the 80s when I started gearing up around 10:30.  A good time for the cooling vest and the white mesh jacket (really, kind of a light silvery gray).

The Xmax is between my CTX and the B200 in most stats: size, weight, horsepower, acceleration, top speed.  But, it isn't an "in between" kinda ride.  The Yamaha engineers did a great job with this bike - I am impressed with it every time I ride it.  For the longest time, I felt the riding position wasn't a good fit for me, but I think I was basing that on having a couple Vespas.  After riding the Burgman with the stock seat, the riding position on this Xmax is a big step up in comfort and room... probably a closer match now that the Burgman is sporting the Corbin seat.

The Xmax feels narrower and sportier than the Burgman.  It handles urban riding as well as cruising through the twisties.  For comparison sake, the Burgman is lighter and that is noticeable going through the tight curves... but the Xmax has 50% more horsepower and only weighs 50 pounds more, so it comes out of the corners faster and with more authority.  The brakes take a bit more grip on the Xmax, but they slow that bike right down.  The stock seat is comfortable and gives you room to move around a bit, but it is comfortable when you push back and "lock" your hind end in for some fun maneuvering.  I have room for my feet on the flat and inclined parts of the floorboards.

It has a sporty, aggressive look to it...


I read one reviewer's description as "an angry Centurion."  Another view...


It has bigger wheels and a bit more wheelbase than the Burgman (15" front, 14" rear vs the B200's 13" and 12").  That means it needs a bit more effort to run it through the curves, but I would still classify it as fun, light, and agile.  It's a good combination of performance and handling, and inspires confidence.  It is easy to see why Joan likes this bike so much.

I've said I find myself "giggling in my helmet" when riding the Burgman; on the Xmax, I find myself smiling through the ride.  Nice bike!

 

When I got back from the ride, Murphy had had lunch, and Joan and I had a light snack to hold us 'till supper.  She decided to finish up her Vine reviews in air conditioned comfort.  When Murphy was done playing with his favorite toys, he joined her in his favorite relaxing spot...


 And, nap time...

The boy plays enthusiastically, then needs his rest.  Me, too.


No comments: