Sunday, May 5, 2024

Full Ahead Warp Speed...

 

If you said, "Star Trek, the original," you get 15 bonus points... if you remember that from first time around.  If you just discovered Star Trek in the last 10 years, you are likely a nerd.  If you have a Star Trek uniform in your closet, you are likely a nerd who may never get laid.  But, I digress.

Yes, I took the day off yesterday - Joan and I had a movie watching binge day yesterday.  None of the movies were Star Trek, or any sci-fi for that matter.

Today, I was feeling the itch to get out on the scoot.  Yes, I know: Sunday on South Mountain?  You must really like traffic, huh?  Surprisingly, it wasn't a typical Sunday, traffic-wise.  Or, more likely: my timing was good.  I wanted to try out some more video things with the Insta360 app, and a couple additional do-dads Joan got for me on Vine.  The do-dads: a quick release camera mount and a carbon fiber "stick" kinda like a non-adjusting selfie stick.  Apparently, the manufacturer is promoting the CF stick as a helmet-mount.  It is just over a foot long and any camera at the end of that would be WAY too long to mount to a helmet...


 I tried it with the new X4 - it made me uncomfortable to see that camera waving around on that spindly stick.  I swapped out the X4 for the smaller and lighter X2... still waving, but I have less to lose with the X2 on there.

On the way out of our housing development, I passed several houses that are getting landscaping (I recognize the piles of base fill, gravel, and pallets of pavers...


These are houses that have been finished longer than ours - I have to say I am glad we did the landscaping right away: it has given us a lot of pleasurable outdoor time.  Especially considering that the hot weather is coming.

 

On to the mountain.  Traffic was surprisingly light.  Nothing ahead of me all the way up, meaning I didn't get slowed down or had any cars to try to shoot around for doing video.  Speaking of video, there is nothing I need to "capture for posterity" on this road, but I wanted to try some more AI editing and perhaps an AI "special effect" (Insta360 is really pushing that on their advertising for the new X4).  Interestingly enough, these AI editing and special effects now also work with their previous cameras... so, yes, if all you wanted was the flashy effects, you could have done so without upgrading to the X4... although Insta wasn't pushing that fact.

First up, I grabbed a video clip and just let the AI do the whole editing process on it...

Yeah, it looks VERY similar to the clip I had the AI do on Friday.  Same music.  Apparently, the AI isn't making each edit unique.  But, it is fast.

Next up: doing an "AI Warp" - this is actually done on Insta's server, so you have to upload the video via their app.  They recommend very short video clips, making the end result less about the subject of the video and more about the special effects...


I shot more video clips than this (no surprise there), did a relatively quick edit on one 2-minute clip, then let the Insta360 app add the music...


The video editing is all mine, just used the Insta app to load some music.  No way I could find to move those audio files to make them flow from one into the other better.


No comments: