Monday, May 6, 2024

Tune-up...

 

You're thinking: "Time to get the motorcycle and scoots ready for the summer?"  Nah, other than an oil change sometime before we head out for the summer, they are good to go.  I'm talking guitars.

The last of the guitars that was in dire need of new strings is the Virtuo.  Beautiful guitar, nice Fishman Fluence pickups and 6 individual piezo pickups in the bridge.  I put a set of electric strings on it today, lighter gauge than what it has been wearing.

I really like that height adjustable desk in my music room; it is covered with a padded tropical pattern blanket when I change strings.  I have the option to sit or stand while working on guitars, by just pressing a button to change the height of the desk.


If you are looking close at that photo above and see a 3-pack of Custom-Light acoustic strings in the lower right corner, that is not what went on the Virtuo.  Elixir Nanoweb .009 - .042  gauge electric strings, if you're keeping track.  And if you aren't a guitar player, I might as well be speaking Klingon.  The Virtuo has a pinless bridge, which is standard throughout the Emerald line these days.  Being old school, I think the pinless bridge is a solution where there was no problem.  Well, to be fair, the Virtuo is a new enough design that pinless is the only way it has come... my older Emeralds still use bridge pins.

The Virtuo comes with d'addario NYXL (. 010 - . 052) strings.  These new strings are lighter by only .001 on the high e-string but they feel very different; the lightest strings I've used in years.

I've been using the Virtuo at Mark's and Ron's houses the last month or so.  It has just stayed in its case so I can just grab the case and go.  After getting the new strings on, the Virtuo joined the rest of the guitars on the wall...


The family (guitar family) is back together again.  The guys are coming here this week - that will be the first time we've had them here to make some music.  I'm looking forward to it.


No comments: