Monday, December 2, 2019

Cool Change...


Yes, that is the name of our current boat.  No, this post has no boat content.

Forty-some years ago, I couldn't believe my good fortune: Joan and I were married.  Yes, we were youngin's.  And, in spite of all those people who said, "That'll never last," here we are.  It has been my honor to be on this life journey with my Honey and my best friend.  Even though one of us, and I won't mention her name, has not held up her promise to "love, honor, and obey."  She denies saying the "obey" part, and there were no consumer video cameras back then... so, I am going by memory.  No, my memory of that momentous occasion is not foggy.

When I asked Joan what she wanted to do to celebrate our anniversary, she said, "Go for a scooter ride and have supper at home."  Well, that is easy enough.  It is another cool, windy day; Joan wore her flannel-lined jeans and put the liner back in her coat; I put a wind-shirt on under my riding jacket.  Upper 60s and a 15mph northeast wind... and we were comfortable.

Heading out...



Out on the road...



We took a detour off the main road to check out the Cameron Co. Airport; now home to the CAF, Commemorative Air Force... used to be the Confederate Air Force, but anything "Confederate" has fallen from favor.  This airport was a training base during World War II; it is kind of underutilized these days.  There are commercially served airports in both Brownsville and Harlingen.  The road heading towards the airport...


The road has been made from what used to be the tarmac for the ramp area.  Getting closer, you can see that the road in is gated; and a boarded up former control tower...


We think that gate is open during the weekends, if someone wants to access the CAF.

In spite of the cool day and breeze, the riding was good.  We even came upon a curve...


Not enough of a curve to even get a good lean into it.  But, we were riding.  Haven't done that for a week or so thanks to Mother Nature.  The new helmet communicators did a good job, but in the strongest of the crosswinds, it did occasionally sound like Joan was chewing ice.  She assures me she wasn't.  Still better to communicate than rely on horns and hand-signals.  It was a good ride today.

Happy Anniversary to my Honey for hanging in there with me all these years!  Smooches!

----------

When we gassed up today, Joan's Xmax kicked my Vespa's butt on mileage... mine: 74mpg; hers: 90mpg.  I rode mine a few times when she didn't go out, but I don't remember hot-dogging it.




No comments: