Monday, December 16, 2019

Let it blow, let it blow, let it blow...


'Cause: what are you gonna do about it?  Right now: wind out of the south at 23 gusting to 31; 77º.  We went out for breakfast at Pier 19, and the restaurant (on the pier) swayed a bit in the wind and the waves.  The Laguna looked a bit like a washing machine.  It isn't cold, but it isn't fun to be out in the wind.  We drove by the beach - no one out there and plenty of blowing sand.

Back home, Rufus wanted to go outside.  He is a stout boy, so he isn't going to blow away... but he looks like a shampoo commercial with his fur blowing in the wind, especially when he turns his head directly into the wind.  Not a lot phases him, but he did not like the rustling sound of the palm branches overhead in the wind.

This evening, things will change.  The next cold front will blow in, so the wind will switch from unpleasant out of the south to ugly out of the north.  High tomorrow of 59º with north wind gusting into the 30s.  We seem to be in a loop: a couple nice days, a couple windy days, a couple cold windy days, and repeat.

I'm not crazy about it, but I'll take the wind over the cold and snow any day.  It will be a good day to make some music and take a nap.

---------

It's a retired guy thing: I didn't have anything to do today, didn't get that finished, so I'll work on that more tomorrow.

I didn't get a nap in.  I don't know why.  Joan was doing some paperwork and asked me to make some music.  OK.  I watched outside as the wind continued to blow.  Then, around 4:00, a lull.  This will be that interim before the wind switches to north.  Time is short, so I hustled out to take the Vespa for a ride around town...


It was 78º while I was out.  By the time I got back (around 5:00), the wind had gone from south to WNW.  It is back up to 15mph, will be climbing towards 30mph overnight (higher gusts) and the temp will be dropping.

I did look around for the scooter tag, "Your scoot by a tree stand, like what hunters use"... yeah, no such thing around here.

A few golf carts whizzed by, decorated.  I'm guessing the Lighted Golf Cart Parade must be tonight.  We'll see how that plays out with the in-coming front.

---------

Yep, there's a Golf Cart Parade this evening.  Normally, we see them when they cross on the bridge over our canal, before they come back to our street.  We missed that tonight.  When I went out to check lines on the boat (the wind is strong and chilly out of the north), I saw the first of them coming our way - I barely had time to grab a camera and go to the front of the house...







Yes, some of this photos are blurry... they were moving right along by the time they came down our street.  Maybe because of the cold (it was still warm when they assembled), might have been because batteries were draining fast (several had pretty dim lights), or it may have been because of the liquid Christmas cheer some were imbibing.

Joan brought Rufus out to see a bit of the parade going by.  "Why would people do that?  And why are we standing out in this cold wind?"

Fun to watch.  In a kitschy kinda way.  Merry Christmas!


No comments: