Monday, December 23, 2019

Two in a row!


I don't want to jinx things, but the weather is looking good for the next week or so.  Before Al Gore invented "climate change," we had a lot of great weather this time of year.

Today was one of those great weather days.  I got a very pleasant bicycle ride in this morning while Joan did our Christmas grocery shopping.  Lovely to be outside with a sweatshirt.

When Joan got back, she was ready for some scooter riding - I did not have to be talked into it!  I got the scoots out and helmet communicators on and ready before she came out... part of her "scooter valet service."

I was anxious to try out the BMW jacket that hasn't been worn for about 8 or 9 years...


Joan asked about the current scooter tag in that game, and we decided to make a stop in Laguna Vista to grab it.  Then, my new "tag": your scooter with a gazebo...


A couple other photos with some water (the Laguna Madre) in the background...



Yes, I am really enjoying that jacket once again; it stops the wind, but has vents that are controllable to keep you cool as needed.  Good armor and comfortable to wear.  I have even learned how to work that "European zipper" that zips on the wrong side.

We did some highway riding, with no destination, just enjoying the day; an unusual day (for here) with no wind.  The windmill farm was still.  On the way towards home, Joan asked if I'd be OK with a change of chow plans: instead of going home and cooking, "How would you feel about  burgers on the island?  You said you wanted to get some photos on the causeway, right?"  Not like I needed any convincing for that.  The water looked beautiful as we crossed our bridge - the view from the causeway should be even more photogenic.




Barely a ripple on the water, and looking gorgeous while reflecting that clear blue sky.  As for lunch...


There are a lot of places on SPI to get a good burger - this place is my favorite.

Back home, there was a bit more to do before calling it a day.  We picked up mail: suit bags that Joan ordered for storing the motorcycle jacket "collection."  Joan worked on those while I got the cover off the boat... if time allows, I thought I might take the boat for a short outing.

Time didn't allow.  While I was scrubbing the waterline of the boat (never-ending when the boat is in the water but not getting a lot of use), our next door neighbor asked, "Hey, Jim, can I borrow one of your kayaks?"

"Sure."  He was going to put a fish light in the water a bit off his dock.  I set him up with our sit-in Pelican kayak; while he was carrying it from our dock to his, I thought to ask, "Have you used a kayak before?"

"No, but it's not that hard, right?"

"Um, maybe we should give you a hand..."

Joan told him to empty his pockets before getting in the kayak... "Really?"  Yeah, really.

I went to get him a paddle; he said, "I'm not going far - I don't think I'll need a paddle."

"Well, that is going to be fun watching you try to get back to the dock."  I'm helpful that way.  ;-)

Joan and I held the kayak against his dock while he lowered himself in... "It's kinda tippy - are they always like that?"

"Keep yourself centered in it and use the paddle to help with your balance."

It took about 10 minutes for him to move about 5 or 6 feet.  Joan and I continued to hold onto lines.  His wife lowered the light to Joan and she passed it out to him.  He plunked it in the water.  We helped him back to the dock.  Joan said, "Why don't you hand onto the kayak until tomorrow, in case you want to move that light."  I suggested he might want to take the kayak for a relaxing early morning paddle.

He wife said, "Two chance of that: slim and none."

About that time, I got a call from my friend John, the boat dealer we bought our first boat from a couple decades ago.  We have stayed friends ever since.  I didn't take the boat out, but sat on it while I visited with John.  Always nice to catch up with my friend.

A fine day in the Tropical Tip.

----------

When we topped off tanks today, Joan got 84mpg with the Xmax, I was at 80mpg with the Vespa. Probably had something to do with the no-wind conditions... I like it!


2 comments:

Bud said...

Hey you two.

Living big as usual.

I've enjoyed your posts for a long time and hope you continue.

Merry Christmas to you and yours. Enjoy the family visit during the holidays.

Fair Winds

With warmest regards.

Boatless Bud

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Bud, my bud - always nice to hear from you, and sending warm holiday wishes to you and yours. Hope you get some good riding in in 2020 - maybe our paths will cross?

Happy Holidays!
Jim & Joan