Thursday, December 12, 2019

Island life...


It was a chilly day again here, but the wind had eased up - I had a nice walk, but still needed a jacket.  We have a plan for the day: out to the storage unit - Joan wants to go through some things we have in there (including some motorcycle jackets), do a general clean-up inside the unit, and I will get the generator in the motorhome exercised.  More on that.

When I got back from my walk, I was looking forward to a soak in the tub.  Joan told me, "The water is out."

"Any word from the Village office?"  They usually call if the water or power is out on any particular street.

"Nope."

Then the phone rang: the group call let us know that the condos on our island (not part of our Village) has a water leak, so all the water to the island has been shut off.

It happens.  Generally, the office will do a group call to let residents know.  In this particular case, they didn't know until the water was off.  That is part of island life.

We have some water on-hand... no relaxing soak, but we were able to clean up, brush teeth, etc.  Hey, we lived on a boat for a while - we can clean up, including hair washing (for me) with about a quart of water; we know how to conserve.  We did something that is almost never done in our house: we left the dishes in the sink.

We gathered up some stuff to put in the coach, and headed out.  On the way, I suggested going into Harlingen for lunch when we were done with the coach and storage unit stuff... I was informed that the clean-up procedure was going to be lengthy.  OK - a burger on the way to the storage unit is the new plan.

Out at the storage unit, I backed the coach out while Joan went to work inside the storage unit.  Even though it was in the upper 60s, I turned on the a/c with the generator running to exercise it with a load on.

I know I am pretty well healed.  It wasn't anything physical, per se... more like the direction: "Make yourself useful and carry something."  ;-)

When I could see that Joan's part of this process was going to take a couple hours, I went to work cleaning the front of the coach.  On our way home, we apparently drove by a mustard field, since all the suicidal bugs exploded on the grille with a splash of yellow.  That took a bunch of scrubbing to get off.  This wasn't going to be a "pail with some soapy water" job - I got out the hose and a dedicated bug scrubber brush.  The grille and front bumper are bug killers; along with the curved section of the body where it transitions from the cab to the body of the motorhome.

When I was done...



Joan was still working inside the storage unit; she went through all the stuff we have in there, did some tossing, some rearranging, and cleaned the floor corner to corner, back to front...


By the time she was done, we were both bushed.  Sure hope the water is back on when we get home!

Yes.  I gave Rufus some outdoor time, then got my turn for a relaxing soak.  The motorhome and storage unit shouldn't need any more attention until we're ready to put the boat away and head out with the coach next month.

Sorry if the title to this post made you think it was going to be sandy beaches, swaying palm trees, dolphins and other marine wildlife.  Sometimes life is just life, even on an island.


No comments: