Friday, December 6, 2019

Almost like a day off...


On yesterday's post, reader Kent suggested that I should check into a captain position doing dolphin watches.  I'd like to go on record: I am not looking for a job.  I am totally fine being gainfully unemployed and a bit of a burden to society.  ;-)  It is a full time job being a trophy husband and a cat wrangler.

We enjoy taking the boat out and seeing dolphins.  In fact, if it weren't for our local dolphins, I would probably be boatless.  One of the best things about our boat outings these days: we do it when we feel like it and when Mother Nature is gracing us with a lovely day.  Cool Change is small, even as pontoon boats go... it is just enough for us, since it is almost always just the two of us.  And, we can stay out as long as we want... or, cut the trip short if we want.  No pressure.

Over the years, I have had essentially 3 careers: musician, photographer, boat captain.  Each of those endeavors is something people do as a recreational activity.  Not for income.  So, many people think getting paid for what they do for fun would be... the best thing ever!!

I felt fortunate in each of those careers, and worked hard to be successful.  I still play music.  Take photos.  And drive a boat.  For the fun of it.

If there is a next career, I am thinking I will go into brain surgery... no one does it for a hobby, no one "has an uncle who will give you a deal," and no one will try to find you other work when you are done with that career.  ;-)  Yeah, I'm kidding... I got a "Brain Surgery For Dummies" kit from Amazon - I'll let you know how that works out for me after I've done a couple.

Today was a nice, but hazy overcast day in the Tropical Tip.  We had stuff to do around the house this morning, took the scoots out to our favorite burger place on the island, rode around a bit (just for the fun of it), then came home and installed another outdoor surveillance camera at the house.  I took Rufus for about a quarter of a mile ride in his wagon (good resistance exercise for me, hauling a heavy cat around).

I did play some music for Joan and Rufus this morning, but didn't take a single photo, and never took the boat away from the dock.  Yep, almost like a day off.

:-)


2 comments:

Kent said...

I have always enjoyed what I've done for work-- A Wrench will get thrown in the works now and again and things may get unpleasant..

For six seasons I was a Snowmobile Tour Guide-- I enjoyed it and always like to chat with different Folks and show and teach them new things..
I had a small house not far from the Company I gave tours for-- Rode my Sled to "Work" early to ride the Fresh Groomed Trails that our Club Groomed nightly..

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Kent. Mark Twain quote: "Find a job you enjoy doing, and you will never have to work a day in your life." I think my favorite thing about being retired is: no schedule. No matter how much you enjoy a job, having to do it on a schedule really cuts into your free time. ;-)