Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Solidarity...


Mutual support within a group.

I mentioned in yesterday's post that my trip to the doctor yesterday was mostly frustration, since I specifically asked if I needed to be fasting and was told no... then got there and was told I should have been fasting.  Arrrrrrgggghhhh!

Last night, I said to Joan, "We can take the scoots to go get my blood work done in the morning, then I'll take you out for a late breakfast."  She was all onboard for that, since it would be a bit of a trip and she is digging the Xmax.

This morning when we got up, it was chilly (upper 60s) and foggy.  I gave her an out if she wanted it, but she was excited about actually going somewhere with the scoots.  We geared up for the cool, damp conditions and headed off around 9:00am, knowing it would be about an hour trip to the doctor's office.  It shouldn't take long to get blood drawn.

It didn't quite work out that way: two tugs pushing two barges each went through our swing bridge.  Well, the first one passed, the bridge started to close, and when almost completely shut (I had already started my scoot), it opened up again.  I'm thinking the second tug called a bit early for an opening, since it was quite a while before it came around the corner where we could see it.  So, we waited...


For a half hour - the longest bridge opening I remember, other than during the lighted boat parade, when a couple dozen boats go through.  Twice.

The main highway to Harlingen has some construction work (resurfacing) in process, so we took back roads (still 55 mph speed limit) to get there.  It was cool and foggy, but a great ride.  No, I didn't bring a camera today.  Not much to see - you couldn't see the tops of the blades on the windmills along the way.

At the doctor's office, I handed my paperwork to the lady where you check in, and she walked it back to the nice lady (Mary) who actually draws blood.  Mary is good, and it didn't take more than a couple minutes and she had me on my way.

On to breakfast at Denny's.  Joan didn't have anything to eat this morning either, standing in solidarity with me on the fasting.  We both ordered big breakfasts, and they were both good!

By the time we were gearing up to head for home, the fog had lifted and it was becoming a glorious day.  We took the long way home, putting us on a good stretch of highway we have come to call "Ain'ta Mountain Road"... as in: it ain't a mountain, but it is good riding for this flatland stuff.

Still a bit overcast when we got home, but pleasant temperature (into the 70s); Joan brought Rufus outside while I put the scoots away.  We ungeared (I just made up that word), and Joan headed to the store.  I had another plan: take Rufus for a ride in a wagon.

There was some discussion that he might freakout (cats can to that for no particular reason) from being put in the wagon.  I started with it on our deck and he was fine with it.  Put on his harness and leash, took the wagon to our driveway, then brought him out.  I started out with gentle moves in the driveway...


He was doing great with that, so I moved out to the street.  No freakout; in fact, he seemed to enjoy looking around...


I took him a couple hundred yards in either direction from our house and considered that outing a success.  When Joan got home from the store, I told her how good Rufus did.  The next step will be an outing with the three of us and a bit more of a walk.

Yes, Rufus does fine on his leash, but he doesn't walk like a dog... we walk a few steps, sniff the grass, roll in the grass, walk a few more steps, sit and watch anything go by... a big outing may be to the end of the block.  If he likes this wagon stuff, I will take him on some further journeys.  We'll see.


No comments: