Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Alerts...

 

An abrupt awakening this morning.  Rufus was ready to be up - he subtly walks on me with his "heavy paws" (he can use "light paws" when he wants) and puts his wiskery face right up to mine when he thinks it's time for me to wake up and feed him breakfast.  But... he's a good boy.  He generally waits until he hears me stir.

That wasn't what got me up faster than usual this morning - a blaring tone coming from the living room was the culprit.  More specifically: my phone.  I did an update after we got home, and there are always things that get turned on, things I would normally have turned off, after an update.  This one was for an Amber Alert.  I generally leave Emergency Alerts turned on, in case of a weather or other emergency situation.  This Amber Alert was for a missing teenager from a town about 60 miles away from us... not much I could offer for help in that situation when I am asleep in bed.

We get more dependent on our ever-smarter phones; well, I know I do.  I use it for weather, tides, maps, reminders, running my cameras and drone, a flashlight, camera, video camera, e-mail, security camera monitor, internet hot spot connection... oh, and it's a phone, too.  ;-)

And sometimes, an unintended alarm clock.

------

We went out to our storage unit yesterday to put some stuff back in the motorhome and stash some boxes (the new drums came in a bunch of boxes inside a big box).  Yes, I still hang onto boxes for a while... just in case.

Digressing.  That almost never happens.  I was loading stuff into the car before we left and forgot to put my phone in my pocket.  We were a couple miles from home before I noticed.  Besides the trip to the storage unit, we planned a couple other errands.  No, I didn't go back for my phone... but, I did notice its absence while out and about.

Yep, pretty darn dependent on that phone.



No comments: