Friday, October 16, 2020

Civic Duty...

 

No, I am not going to work on the Honda car assembly line.  Texas has early voting; we decided to go this morning.  Could not have been easier: very few cars in the parking lot, no one in line in front of us when we went in.  The hardest part was understanding what the woman behind the plexiglass wanted me to do with my drivers license... "Put your license there so your photo faces the camera."  I did that.  She didn't say anything about the license standing up and sliding into a small slot.  I figured it out.  It took about 30 seconds for her to take a photo of it or do whatever she was doing with it.  "Now, I need to see the back."  I was pretty sure she didn't want to see my back... so, same thing with the back of the license. 

Wearing a mask, I could have used anyone's license.  Moved on to the next station, where the woman told me to "take a pen and a ballot"... I put a glove on, she said, "The pens are sanitized.  Now, pick one of the three ballots - they're all the same."

No, I don't know why I got to pick one of three if they're all the same... I wondered if she was trying to pull a "three card Monte" on me.

The voting part was easy - we both knew who we were voting for.  Not sure if we cancelled out each other's vote... probably not.

Put the ballot in the box and the pen in a container to be sanitized.  Done.


So, can I get the ads off my TV and stop with the political texts?

I don't fly any candidate flags.  I avoid political discussions.  Really, it's nobody's business but mine who I voted for.  Secret ballot - it's the American way.  When November 3rd rolls around (or however long it takes to count the votes), some people will be happy, some will have their hopes dashed.  It would be nice if we could say, "OK, we have a winner, now let's stop all the divisiveness"... but I'd be a fool to think that's how it will play out.  Too many people want to force their opinions.

Your side lost?  Suck it up, buttercup.  I have a general disregard for politicians... not for those in public service, but for those who don't listen to their constituents and think tearing down the other side is a win; for those who are in it for themselves and the long haul, rather than what's good for the American people.

There are always those who say, "If (insert their choice here) doesn't win, I'm moving to Canada."  They never do.  Things would probably be better for those of us who are realists if they did move.  But, they won't.


No comments: