Saturday, October 17, 2020

The Right to Assemble...

 

Or, in this case: disassemble.

There is a plan in motion.  For some motion.  Since we stopped at AF1 Racing in Austin a couple weeks ago, I have been thinking about that Vespa and the Piaggio BV 350 I rode.  Well, more like agonizing about it.  And, the winner is: the blue Vespa GTS 300 HPE.  Joan thought it was a foregone conclusion: "You are a Vespa guy."  There is a good argument to be made for the BV, especially considering it would be a stronger performer than her Xmax.  But, in the end, the style and fit of the Vespa was compelling.

Here's what that one looks like (previously posted image)...


Yes, it looks a bit naked compared to what I've done with my current GTS.  Today, I spent a couple hours taking stuff off my current bike; now, it looks naked...

No, that's not how it will get traded in.  Flames and "Vesparado" off, seat off, USB attachment off, phone holder off, top case and mounting plate off.  Original parts reinstalled...

Yep, that's pretty much how it looked when I bought it.  All that stuff to "make it mine" will go on the new one.  It's a pretty clean example of that era GTS.  With a couple grocery size bags of stuff removed.  It has been a good bike for me - kept me riding when my hip got bad and was incentive after the hip replacement to do the physical therapy so I could ride again.

And, with that new hip and more mobility, I can once again swing a leg over a motorcycle.  There was some discussion about it, but I really like the Vespa.  It suits me.  It is coming up on 8 years since we switched from motorcycles to scooters... and, we're still enjoying the ride.  I am a scooterist.

This new Vespa will have more power and torque.  Will it keep up with Joan's Xmax?  Probably not, but it will be closer.  It will also have ABS brakes and Traction Control, two significant safety items.  LED lights.  That classy deep blue paint.  The rear rack I want for it is back ordered, so it may be a while before I can mount the top case.  In the meantime, Joan's bike has the same mounting plate, so she will get to carry my top case.  She is not a fan of that look.  Her bike already looks a lot bigger than the Vespa (because it is), but even more so with that top case on it...

Next week sometime.

----------

There is no place in the cargo trailer to put the magnetic flames I took off the Vespa... the cargo trailer is all aluminum construction, wood on the interior walls... nothing for the magnetic stuff to stick to.  While getting things set up in the trailer, Joan asked where I wanted those flames - I jokingly said, "Stick it on the Honda"...

Some things just don't belong together.  ;-)





No comments: