Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Oh, that Mother Nature...

 

I checked weather this morning: 0% chance of precip until mid-afternoon, then a 5% chance.  High 88º.

Yes, I was wanting to take the new scoot out with all the "stuff" set up on it.  We geared up, with a plan to go east(ish) to the town of Bastrop, because... "Bastrop is the most historic small town in Texas."  Really, it is just a place to ride to.  The roads looked mostly straight and highway(ish), but... just wanting to ride.

We geared up and headed out...

Um, seems to be getting grayer ahead...


Yep, rain...

Neither of us are a fan of riding in the rain, but it wasn't too heavy; one of those "Let's ride it out and see if it improves."  It did.  Spotted up my pretty, clean bike, though.  And, the road had plenty of traffic...


We weren't looking to get off and walk around, mostly just wanting to ride.  Then, we saw the billboard... "Wanna go there?"  "Sure do."

Some bakery sweets to take back to the coach, and a brisket sandwich to split.  While enjoying this light lunch, we looked up some other roads to loop back around.  Less traffic and not having to do 65 - 70 mph.  The new Vespa is great!  It feels more solid on the highway, with a better ride.  We did a few kinda roll-on challenges... the Vespa did better than I thought in mostly keeping up with the Xmax... but Joan said she wasn't trying "all out."  When we get home and can get on some back roads with no traffic, we'll run 'em again.  With no "I wasn't really trying" excuses.  ;-)

Back at the RV park, we discussed dropping off coats and going back out again, but it hot and humid.  I'm satisfied that all is good with this new scoot.  I shot a 360 video of the scoot at our site, then we strapped them down, ready to roll for home in the morning.



Is this camera turned on?

Yep.

I'm calling this day a success, even though we didn't find any great riding roads, and Mother Nature rained down on us.  My pretty new Italian scoot shook off most of the rain and performed great.  I wasn't sure about putting the top case from the black Vespa on there, but this combination of rack/case/seat sits lower than it did on the black Vespa.  I'm good with it.

We took turns being the point person, and when riding behind me, Joan said, "The tail light and brake light are a lot brighter on this new one - that's nice!"  I had to check it out for myself when we got back.

We took a few minutes to strap the bikes down and make sure the cargo trailer is ready to roll in the morning.  Tonight, Rufus will get a walk here in the park, and we'll be RVers for one more night.




No comments: