Monday, October 26, 2020

Money for nothing...

 

... and chicks for free.

If you said, "Dire Straits, 1985," you get 50 bonus points; only 10 points if you didn't have the year.

We got a check in the mail today, from our bank.  I won't mention the name, but it rhymes with Dells Snargo.  It was for a very small amount.  The letter with it said it was for interest on an automatic final payment that was not deducted by the Snargo folks.  And, to compensate us "for the time that our funds were not available" on this tiny amount.

Now, we all know that a bank with a name quite similar to Dells Snargo pulled some underhanded stuff with customer accounts over the years and were fined by the Feds.  I'm guessing this was part of the settlement, requiring them to refund ill-gotten gains.  Talk about adding insult to injury... for them, not for me.

"What about the 'chicks for free' part," you ask?  Thanks for asking.  The check would cover a Chick-fil-A sandwich (Original, not Deluxe) and small waffle fries.  No soda.  It had to cost them more to generate the paperwork and postage for this check than the amount of the check.

To add to their costs, I called them to talk to a banker.  This whole thing sounded scammy (I just made up that word) to me.  I am obviously not the first to have called, based on the big sigh from her when I asked about the check.  She said, "Yes, it is to take care of a 'previous situation' - just cash the check."

"What about my pain and suffering from 15 years ago, as a result of being unaware of Dells Snargo being sneaky?"  She had no answer.  "That's OK, you have a great day," I said.

Now I can't get that song out of my head.

-----------

Our for our evening walk.  Rufus and me.  He walked good and was done before I was.  Up on the landing to the front door, he did the sweet face...


"We should go inside and get me a treat, huh?"

"Yes, Ruf, that's a good idea."  :-)


No comments: