Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Bait and Switch?

 

I got an e-mail this morning for the "Stupid Deal of the Day" from Musician's Friend.  It was a good deal and on an item I was considering.  The price moved me off the fence.  Joan tried to order it online and it came in $50 higher than the advertised price.  Tried again and when put in the cart, it came in at full price.  Not much of a deal.

I called them and spoke to a nice young lady who saw what I was talking about.  Her computer wouldn't let her enter it at the "Stupid Deal" price, either.  She put me on hold while she spoke with her manager.  I was pretty sure she would get this issue resolved.  Nope, she gave me some double talk about "a systems error," and said her manager said she could go 7% off the regular price.  I would truly be "stupid" to take that deal.  She said she'd keep working on her manager and get back to me.

In the meantime, I called a related music store in Brownsville and asked if they'd match the "Stupid Deal" price... I was told, "We will - we'll just have to see the e-mail."  Yep, I still had the e-mail.

We drove to Brownsville and picked it up.  No hassle - they looked at the e-mail, matched the price, and brought it out to the car for us.

Some assembly required - I spent the afternoon setting up my new electronic drums.  When I was done, there was an e-mail from the nice young lady at Musician's Friend - she got her manager to come down to the $50 over the advertised price.  IF it was a mistake, you would think it would be smart business to give the customer the advertised price and take down the ad.  Or, they could have said, "Sorry we sold out," which would have been false, but better than calling it "a systems error"... not smart business on their part.  Odds are pretty good it won't be the last music equipment I'll buy, but I won't be making any purchases from them again.  I would give the young lady two thumbs up for making the effort, and a big thumbs down for Musician's Friend management.



No comments: