Sunday, October 11, 2020

An informal poll...

 

I was wearing a T-shirt, not a tux.  Informal.

On my daily morning bicycle ride, I look around.  I see where the tide is on the seawalls; I wave and say, "Good morning," to people; if people are walking a dog and don't seem to have good control of it, I give them some space; I notice whether places are occupied or vacant.  This would typically be a transition time of year, where the summer people have gone home and the winter people aren't here, yet.

I also notice flags.  Of course, the American flag - some of us proudly fly that.  There are also political flags.  Until very recently, it has been only Trump flags.  I am now seeing Biden flags.  Certainly, the Trump flags outnumber the Biden flags.  I have some theories about that: everyone knew who was on the Republican ticket, pretty much since the last election.  It seems that there wasn't a Vice President nominee on the Democratic side until recently.  It takes time to ramp up flag production.  I think Trump supporters are more of the flag-waving types... take the recent golf cart parade on our island, supporting Trump.  Pretty sure any Biden parade here would have a much smaller turnout.  Fewer supporters?  Probably not, but they may not be as openly supportive.

Just a theory.  National polls are showing Biden ahead.  Before you take anything from that, you may want to recall the 2016 election.  This one is going to come down to who turns out the voters; not just the flags.  On that point, another thing I noticed today: Trump flags often come in multiples.  Huh?  A flag on the house, a flag on the pickup, and a flag on the golf cart (or UTV).  I have yet to see any multiple Biden flags.

This blog has been a "political free zone" since its inception.  Don't take this post as any change from that.  You've heard the saying about making a choice from "the lesser of two evils."  Seems to me that, flags aside, for many it will be choosing from "the lesser of two weasels."

I generally keep my political beliefs to myself.  I'm going with this...



No comments: