Thursday, October 29, 2020

Good news, bad news...

 

It's the start of plenty of jokes, not something you want to hear in a doctor's office.

This blog has been a bit of a diary for me.  I write about what we're doing, generally avoiding politics and other divisive topic... I keep those thoughts to myself.  Oh, there have been times when I've been accused of over-sharing; generally with some humor.

I will be dealing with some medical stuff, but don't intend to turn this into a medical accounting.  The short story: I have been diagnosed with prostate cancer.  That was the "bad news" in the title.  I waited for the "good news," but finally had to ask, "So, where's the good news?"

The "good news": I'm young (tell that to my achy bones) and in "good shape" (tell that to my mirror).

This started with an elevated PSA number and my doctor telling me I needed to see a urologist.  I knew that wasn't a good sign.  The urologist suggested a biopsy, and I had that done a couple weeks ago.  Basically, they shove something up your ass (well, my ass) that looked a bit like a demented cattle prod, and then take "snips" from different areas in your prostate.  "You may feel this..."  Yep.

A week later, the results: 12 samples, 9 clear, 1 suspect, 1 level one, 1 level five.  His recommendation: you need to do something about this now (the level five).  I get that.  After a few minutes of shock, it was time to put together a plan.  There are options and I had to weigh what I feel is best for me.

After the hip surgery, I had said, "No more cutting."  Probably not a good idea to be adamant about that.  I discussed it with my internist, read what I could find, and determined that robotic surgery is my choice.  That can't happen until swelling from the biopsy goes down.  Also recommended that I have a bone scan done to determine if there has been any spread.  That happens next week.

So, I will be occupied with medical appointments and a surgery date at the end of November.

In the meantime, I plan to live my life, doing what I enjoy... riding the scoots, making some music, taking Rufus for walks, and spending time with my Honey.  Joan and I support each other, and she has been right there with me, and foremost in my decision making process.

The visits with the urologist were somber.  I don't envy his job, because no one goes to him for "good reasons."  He set me up with his partner, also a urologist, who does the robotic surgery.  She had more of a sense of humor.  While I'm waiting to get the surgery done, she prescribed something that will decrease my testosterone production temporarily (not a cure, but may help slow the spread while waiting).  I asked, "Will this make me want to wear my wife's clothes?"

She said, "You may feel the need to watch Oprah each day."  Yep, a sense of humor.  One other good trait: small hands.  She did another "exam" and it was apparent that her hands are smaller than her partner's.  That aside, I was comfortable with her explanations and recommendations.

Yesterday, I had two doctor appointments, several hours apart.  The storage unit where we keep the motorhome is near Harlingen, where all this will be going down (about 45 minutes from where we live).  It was a nice break to go to the motorhome between those appointments... a place to sit, visit, watch some TV, and cocoon.  Having the motorhome there will give us a closer base, as needed.

We have kept Steph in the loop since the diagnosis.  Yesterday, she asked, "Was Mom in the room during this discussion and exam?"

"Yes.  She has another job description: manager of medical appointments."

"Did she watch during the exam?"

I had to relay that question to Joan - she said, "Yes, he has a nice butt."  Probably not what your daughter wants to hear.  I appreciated it, though.

It was a cold, dark, drizzly start to the morning yesterday; we had to leave the house early to get to that 8:00 appointment.  48º when we left.  We turned on the heated seats in the car; they don't get used often.  Long pants and jackets.  In October.  By early afternoon, the sun was back out and it eventually warmed to the mid-60s.  Nice enough for some time with Rufus on the deck.  Certainly cooler than the 80s we've had since returning home.

Living normal.  I took that first testosterone inhibitor this morning.  Another cooler day today; I was thinking I might get a scooter ride in, but it is supposed to be windy this afternoon... maybe I'll just stay inside and do my nails.  ;-)





3 comments:

BiloxiBeau said...

Jim, wishing you the best. Saying a prayer for you and your family.

Bob & Nancy Klugh

Bob & Laurie Fritz said...

Jim,
You and your family are in our prayers.

Bob & Laurie

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Thanks, folks!