Monday, June 14, 2021

Be still...

 

I've been told that a time or twelve.  But, that's not what I'm talking about here.  As you may have noticed, I've been giving more time to videos on this blog since last summer.  I credit Mark and I making some music videos, and getting that first 360 camera.  I enjoy looking back at some of those videos.

After decades in the photography biz, still photos are still my go-to.  Over the years, I've taken thousands of still images from the scooter.  With these 360 cameras, you can choose videos or photos; you can do a still "grab" from within a video.  I wanted to see how this latest X2 camera does with just stills.  Joan had some grocery shopping to do, so it was a good time to get out on the Vespa.  What?  Yeah, it's still hot and humid.  Early is better.  I geared up and headed out...


That's a view of the small bridge over one of the canals on the island.  Then, over the swing bridge, looking towards the Laguna Madre...


Then, onto the causeway...



Over the Laguna.  Onto South Padre Island - light traffic, people on Gulf Blvd heading for the beach...




Or, waiting for an airport shuttle to head home...



Back down Padre Blvd...


The kid on the right in the back of that golf cart would have to be in a booster seat in a car.  But here, in a golf cart, not even a seat belt. 

A "tiny planet" shot, just because...


Then, heading for home...




The still photos test results: easy; you don't have to point the camera any particular direction (it was on a selfie stick just in front of the windshield).  The resolution is good enough for posting here, but the perspective tends towards wide angle, even if you crop in.  There is a considerable delay with the shutter release, mostly because the camera shoots what Insta360 calles: Pure Shot.  It is like an HDR processed image.  It isn't what most people are used to as a typical still camera image, but it has its place.  As we close in on getting out of here, I'll have less time to mess with a camera... but, the plan is for cooler weather, better riding, and some varied scenery.  It is good to have a plan.  ;-)


5 comments:

BiloxiBeau said...

Jim,

How (what did you use) to mount the selfie stick to the Vespa? I just ordered an imsta360 bundle through Apple——selfie stick included.


Thanks. Keep straightening the insta360 learning curve for us out hear. ��

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi BB - Hope you enjoy the Insta360 camera as much as I do. Which one did you get? I have the One R and the One X2. I attach the selfie stick to the Vespa with a RAM ball mounted on my mirror. If you buy the motorcycle bundle, you will get a grip mount that you can use on a handlebar, if your bike has that. I use the grip mount on the back of the Vespa when I want that view. It only takes seconds to switch it from my bike to my wife's Xmax. I've used the same grip mount on our boat and on my e-bike. The RAM mounts are very versatile - I have 3 of the 1" mounts on my Vespa that I use to attach my phone (with a Quad Lock) and the other two for cameras or occasionally, I will put a drink holder on there.

The grip mount: https://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-B-400U

The 1" ball mounts: https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-231ZU

I use the ball mounts on my mirror stalks. With the Double Socket Arm, you can attach the selfie stick to that mount and angle the camera any way you want for a particular shot: https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-201U-A

Hope that helps.

Jim

BiloxiBeau said...

i bought the one x2. supposed to arrive this thursday. looks like a neat camera and looking forward to playing with it.

thank you for the information my friend.

cbrat Bob

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Ah, you will enjoy that X2 Bob. I look forward to seeing what you shoot with it.

BiloxiBeau said...

x2 arrived yesterday.. wow, learning curve for sure. ......first 360 camera i have owned. I'm getting there, slowly.

to be continued........

cbrat Bob