Saturday, June 26, 2021

Easy. Like Sunday Morning...

 

On a Saturday.  If you said, "The Commodores, 1977," you get 25 bonus points.  If you said, "Jim, I've heard you say it isn't easy being pretty.  Or was that: it isn't pretty being easy?" you get an additional 100 bonus points.

Today was an easy drive: about 200 miles, straight north.  When we ran out of Spur I-135, it turns into US Hwy 81.  Even found a Love's gas station that could accommodate our length.  It was also at that same gas station where the Honda wouldn't start.  I make it a point to start the Honda at each fuel stop; it helps keep the battery charged and a quick run through the gears keeps that lubed up.  I pulled out the jumper and it fired up.

When we got to today's RV park (yes, this is an RV park, compared to last night's campground), it was early enough to consider a late lunch at the nearby Taco John's.  No, we do not have Taco John's in the Tropical Tip - it is an upper Mid-west chain.  While I went to the office to get us checked in, Joan started unhooking the car.  Then, gave me the not unexpected news: the Honda wouldn't start again.  Time for a new battery.  The nice lady at the office said, "I have a set up jumper cables; let me pull my car up to yours."  Very nice of her.  We pulled onto our site and went to work getting the coach set up.

Taco John's is right in front of the Walmart, which we can see from our RV site.  I got a new battery for the Honda while Joan picked up a few groceries.  There was no one ahead of us in the Walmart service bay - within 15 minutes, they were done with the car (they install the battery free, so... why not?) and Joan was done with her shopping.  Fast and easy.

No one in line at the drive up at Taco John's... in fact, with only two cars in the parking lot, we wondered if they were open.  Yep.  We got our TJ needs met and brought it back to the coach.  A very easy late lunch.

"Why only 200 miles today?" you ask.  Thanks for asking.  We had a built-in "pad day."  An extra day or two of no traveling, in case we run into bad weather or any kind of equipment issue.  Once we are about 3 days (or 600 miles) from our destination, we can make it easy driving days, or up it to 300+ miles and still stay on schedule.  We have a fixed reservation at Hart Ranch and can't come in earlier than that... Monday is our planned arrival day.  So, about 220 miles tomorrow, then another 250 or so on Monday.  Easy.

The weather today stayed around 75º and mostly overcast.  A north wind, so we said bye-bye to the tailwind we had enjoyed until today.  It dropped our fuel mileage by about 1mpg.  Four lane highway all the way.  And still in early enough to kick back.  Right now, I have Rufus sitting beside me with his head on my leg... he's a good traveler, but I think he enjoys "the house not moving all the time."  ;-)


1 comment:

Bob said...

Cap - I too let them change the battery at WallyMart. I always get the red and black pad things, I clean the terminals/cable ends before I go in, and then I spray the whole mess with the secret sauce. I also re-fasten the chassis ground and check all the crimp on ends for corrosion or broken wires. Lastly, I have started adding a second ground cable just for good measure. I use AGM batteries and so I cut out the battery tray to use the biggest battery that will fit. Here in Boulder City, Nevada I get twice the life out of a battery than most folks and we drive about the same mix of short/long distance as you do. It all may be not needed but I tend to drive my vehicles 20+ years and as close to 250,000 to 300,000 miles as I can (the last 2006 Tundra had 340,000 miles on her when she was sold). The wife's car is a 2002 with 87,000 miles, it just got a third battery! I have Blackstone test our used oil and until recently changed the oil/filter every 3000 miles. That meant over 100 oil changes on the last Tundra. I have gone to 7000 mile intervals based on the Blackstone tech's advice - I am using the new Shell Rotella full syn for gas engine trucks. See ya, can hardly wait for a Scoot Report of the big loop out of Hart. Bob Jarrard