Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Hello, old friend...

 

Well, not that old.  We took our first load to the motorhome today.  Mostly clothes.  Joan put stuff away inside while I checked and inflated tires and the airbags (for the rear suspension).  This is as long as the coach has been unused... we took it to Austin in January to go to the Vespa dealer, and haven't been anywhere since.  So, not just the motorhome that has been waiting to get out and about - us, too.  This is the longest we've been in one place in the past 15 years.

At the end of this month, it will be 15 years since we retired from the studio.  We reminisced a bit on our way back from the storage unit.  I asked Joan, "Do you miss boat cruising?"

She said, "Not at all, but I'm really glad we did it when we did.  It would be a completely different experience if we were just now retiring and heading out to do all those things."  We talked about the places we traveled by boat and RV... the favorites, the "one and done" places. 

There is a thread on the C-Dory forum about "What's Seattle really like these days?"  We used to enjoy taking our boat to Bell Harbor, right on the Seattle waterfront, along downtown.  The first few times we went there, it was a delight.  The last time we were there in the boat, there were more homeless people and the area didn't feel as safe.  We had flown into Seattle by seaplane when working at Friday Harbor for fun day-trips (plus the seaplane ride was a real treat).  The last trip there, we landed in Lake Union, took light rail to downtown, and touristed our way around.  There were places that didn't feel safe.  From everything I read, it has deteriorated even more since then.

Besides Seattle, we boat cruised to Miami, San Francisco, New York City, Victoria (BC), and others.  Glad we did those places when we did; not that interested in spending time in the big cities these days.  There were places where we were away from humanity, like Lake Powell, Flaming Gorge, and many islands in the Pacific Northwest.  Living on our boat in Friday Harbor in the San Juan Islands was a fun experience.

My hip is pretty good once again, but we were able to hike all over before it deteriorated.  RVed all over the US, Mexico, and Canada.

We aren't done, yet... but, the experiences would definitely be different if we were just getting started on any of that.  Looking forward to getting to some cooler weather and some fine scootin' roads.  Starting the loading process has me even more excited.

A "file photo"...



8 comments:

Bob said...

Glad you made the cut when you did. I am 74 this July and have not filled out the bucket list accomplished list, not likely going to happen, older married couples take turns providing a reason not do adventure too much. Don't slow down, stay on the "Cranky side", stay a member of the "New Toy A Month Club" and enjoy the ride back to cooler weather. See ya (I hope)!
Bob Jarrard

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Bob. I think the last year and a half has slowed a lot of folks down. I can't think of any toys I can't live without, but I am so ready for a change of scenery. Yeah, I know: the beach, coastal living, tropical breezes... it's just these darn itchy feet. Plus, I've told the beautiful blue Vespa about some great riding roads; I kinda HAVE to go, now.

I get that "taking turns providing a reason" thing. We actually did that when we first talked about retiring. Neither of us needed any convincing for this next get-away, and we've already made arrangements for next winter. Considering everything I'm reading about the boom in RV sales, it will be interesting to see how tight it is finding an RV site. So far, so good.

It's been quite a while since we've been to Vegas. No plans at this time, but we'll see - it would be fun to get together. Take care.

Earl49 said...

I really appreciate the concept of "doing things while we can". I am so glad that we did not defer fun due to work and got into scuba diving, kayaking, motorcycles, and then later flying our Cessna and riding Gold Wings all around Alaska. None of these active things are feasible any longer for various medical reasons (mine). We often comment between us that it is really good not to have put things off until retirement like so many people do. Now that retirement is finally here - for one of us next Friday - we find the options more limited than before. Still we'll have whatever fun we can. Some music events are opening up again around Idaho.

Travel safe, and pet Rufus for us. He *IS* a good boy....

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Earl. I get it. Neither of us have the desire to muscle around a full-dress touring bike these days, but we're still having fun with our scoots. There are a couple kayaks in our storage area that haven't been used in quite a while. But, the big thing in your note went by kinda fast: which of you two is retiring? Inquiring minds want to know. ;-)

Rufus is sitting beside me as I write this... he said, "Tell Earl that he's a good boy, too!"

Enjoy making music!

Earl49 said...

Thanks, Rufus! [purrrrr]

It is not that I wouldn't enjoy riding. But I have had enough PT and rehab and have become risk-averse. More than 65K safe riding miles does not guarantee the next mile, and things are getting crowded around here. We have to deal with city traffic to get out to the country roads and good riding, plus it is too hot to wear proper riding gear much of the summer.

It is Alice who is formally retiring from electrical engineering after 37 years. She will become a semi-professional bass flute player now. Please don't say flautist - she is a flutist! Her two community bands have re-started operations (nice concert in the park last night). She will now also have time for on-line and in-person workshops and some small ensembles. I plan to keep my self-employed acoustical engineering practice going until I get too tired, probably another 18-24 months. For now it provides the tax write-offs and some other perks.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Thanks for the update, Earl - tell Alice "Congrats on retiring!" and we wish her all the best on this next chapter. I won't call her a "flautist" - she could take someone out if she hit them with that big bass flute. ;-) Tough on you being self-employed: you can't complain about what a jerk your boss is. Kidding, of course... I know that when you're self-employed, you have a lot of bosses. LOL

I get the risk averse thing. Joan doesn't care to ride here this time of year, mostly because of the heat and crazy drivers. I make it a point to gear up when I ride; everything except an armored mesh jacket - it's too hot for that. Well, right now, it's too hot for almost anything outside.

Take care.

Earl49 said...

I will pass along the thought. She is getting excited, and suffering badly from short-timer syndrome. Let it be over already...... I have been self-employed for 31 years now, so I'm used to my jerky boss. There have certainly been tempting job offers along the way, but I'm not sure that I could go back to being a deck hand after captaining the ship for so long.

Flautists play classical music while scowling, wearing white shirts and black pants. Flutists play fun music and enjoy it - they are allowed to smile, as you know. Officially the NFA (National Flute Association) voted to call themselves flutists, in part because they are NOT French.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Well, the end is in sight for her. I assume some kind of celebratory get-away or dinner is planned for you two?

After we retired from the studio, Joan was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to work for anyone; apparently something about me calling BS when warranted. LOL I think I was a pretty good deck hand, even when doing the captain thing. ;-)

I never understood the whole flautist description... do the French play a flaut?

I'm looking forward to some time on my scauter. ;-)