Friday, June 11, 2021

Unicorn...

 

Well, this is more about a "unicorn mount" but that brings up images I don't want to have show up on a web search.

The "mount" in question is a helmet attachment that raises the camera above the top of the helmet, like this...


Joan went to the store this morning, and after my bicycle ride, I thought I'd take the Vespa out and try mounting the new X2 camera on my helmet.  Darned if I could find any attachment in the motorcycle mount kit that would attach the camera to the top of that extension.

After wasting a bunch of time looking for the attachment, I just connected the X2 right to the helmet mount and went on my merry way... wanting to get out before it gets too hot and humid. (It was only 80º this morning)  I shot some video while out and about...

That is another "unlisted" video, so only available through this link.  Much shorter than yesterday's video, and no narration (aka: rambling on).

When I got home, I had two pleasant surprises: Joan brought me a donut from HEB, and she discovered that the "unicorn mount" is actually threaded on one end, so it doesn't require an adapter.  No, I didn't notice that there were threads in there - no other accessory I have has built-in threads.  It helps to have a fresh set of eyes... especially if they are a pretty blue.

One thing I did discover on my ride: the X2 camera is much taller than the One R or a typical GoPro... the extra height of the camera makes for more wind resistance when riding at speed.  I could feel the difference when riding today, and that was without the extra length with that extension.  I may have to do some neck exercises.  ;-)

--------

Lunch time rolled around, and Joan had a proposition for me: "Let's take some stuff to Whiskers (a thrift shop on the island whose proceeds help fund our local animal shelter) and go to Russo's for lunch."

"I'm in."  Russo's has good pizza and Italian food.

We dropped some re-sale items at Whiskers and headed for Russo's - the traffic on the island was moderately heavy.  The parking lots were full at every restaurant we passed.  There were a couple spots at Russo's, but when we went inside, we were told a 20 to 30 minute wait for a table.  We have never had to wait for a table there.  But, it is Friday, and people in the RGV are flocking to the beach.  We decided to move on, and weighed our options when we got back to the car.  We agreed on checking a couple places in Port Isabel.

The parking lot at Pirate's Landing was packed.  A couple spots open at Marcello's... and when we went inside, we were once again told "a 20 to 30 minute wait."  We again moved on.  Setting our sites lower, we agreed to try WingStop, and if it was too busy, we'd go home and fix something.  Several parking spots open at WingStop and when we went inside... they weren't allowing inside dining.  Order, wait, and take the food home.  Been a while since we've been there - the food was tasty.

I've written here about staying close to home on the weekends this time of year.  This is why.  One way in, the same way out.  And lots of people coming to the beach because it is cooler... well, we live at the coast, and this doesn't feel cooler... must be even stickier inland.

Time to start the packing process.



No comments: