Saturday, June 26, 2021

Help me make it through the night...

 

If you said: "Kris Kristofferson, 1970," you get 200 bonus points.

It was still raining (not pounding) when we went to bed in our "skinny" bedroom, with the slide-out pulled in; more "closed in feeling" on Joan's side of the bed.  And, no, changing sides of the bed doesn't work for long-time couples.  ;-)  To add to the fun, right before we turned in, I got the emergency warning alert (yes, it's loud) on my phone for flash flooding.  I turned on the outside light and opened the shade on the entry door window... nope, no rising water.  I had already looked up what county we were in, but if you are just passing through, it is hard to know if you are in a "low lying area" or near streams, creeks, or rivers.

I slept pretty good last night.  I was a party of one, as apparently, Joan didn't.  When I got up this morning, I opened some shades up front to look outside: lots of tree damage and branches, some quite large, strewn around.  I turned on the TV to get some local news... lots of damage being reported.  A gust of 85mph was recorded in the town where we are located.  I had guessed it at 70mph last night... either way, it was ugly.  More flooding expected today as streams flow down.  Still over 5,000 homes without power.  West of us, baseball size hail reported; the county east of us had 8 to 10 inches of rain.

But, right now, all is quiet.  It isn't raining.  Isn't blowing.  Solid overcast and a good chance of rain throughout the day.  We'll be heading north, but we aren't in a hurry today... I'll let someone else be the first one out on the rutted campground road; no idea how deep those puddles are.


No comments: