Monday, December 13, 2021

How low can you go?

 

Limbo?  Not with these creaky old joints.

I've been looking into some kinds of hand grip to use with my phone when using it as a camera.  The iPhone does a decent job with photographs, but it is not ergonomic like a dedicated camera.  If all you're doing is taking a photo at eye level and the subject isn't moving, the phone alone does a fine job.  But, if you want to get lower to the ground, as in getting a photo of Rufus at his level, it is cumbersome to hold the camera, compose the shot, and click the shutter button on the screen.  I was looking for something that would allow me to use the phone/camera with one hand, from any angle, and be able to easily make the exposure.

Enter the ShiftCam.  This thing attaches to the phone, giving you a right hand grip with a shutter release button in the place where you'd find it on a typical DSLR (right under your index finger).  It uses blue tooth to connect to the phone for the shutter release.  It has internal batteries that also can charge your phone wirelessly while you're shooting.  You can flip it up on the grip and it becomes a hands-free stand for your phone (vertical or horizontal), as well as a wireless charger.


The image above is from the front, with the grip to the left side of the image and you can see the phone sticking out on the right side.  It can be rotated to take photos horizontally or vertically.  Much easier to hold and make the exposure with one hand.

I took a photo with it while out for the evening walk with Rufus...

Nice low angle (at Rufus's eye level) that was easy to shoot with one hand, while holding his leash with the other.  I think I am going to like this gadget.  I find myself using my phone more often than my other still cameras for getting a quick photo.  This attachment isn't light weight, but it feels pretty sturdy.  Certainly not something that I'll carry around all the time, but when I know I'll be using the phone for photos, I think it will be handy.

https://shiftcam.com/


No comments: