Monday, December 6, 2021

Long driving day...

 

How long?  Thanks for asking.  500 miles.

The day started out warm in south Texas and dropped as we rolled north.  The wind also went from zero to about 25 and gusting to the upper 30s... out of the north.  Yes, we were heading north. 

We were on the road at 6:00am.  An hour or so of dark, but the traffic was light.  Overcast and some fog to greet the morning...


We stopped at a Love's for propane.  I had called last night to make sure they had propane and was told they have someone available to fill us "24 hours a day."  I called them from the call box by their propane tank and a young lady said they'd send someone right out.  She came out and said, "The manager isn't here and I have never filled the tank on a motorhome... and that looks expensive, and I don't want to blow up your nice RV."

I said, "Well, let's give it a try and if we both get blown up, I won't hold you responsible."  I had to help her find the right adapter, but she hooked it up and was encouraged when I told her, "You're doing it just the way it always gets done."  She filled it without incident.  Unfortunately, paying for it wasn't as easy - the guy tried about 6 times and couldn't get the right amount punched into his cash register, nor to get my credit card to run.  I finally said, "Let me give you cash so I can get down the road."

Steph got breakfast for us while I was messing with the propane, and we made some miles.  The GPS put us into our destination for the day around 4:00... I was hopeful we'd get there before dark.  At one rest area, I got out to do a walk around...


... then managed to convince Steph that she should give driving this thing a try...

When I could see the wind picking up a bit, we switched back.  I was at the wheel as we rolled through the Austin traffic...


And, the highlight of the day: Steph got to experience her first Buc-ee's...


She now understands what all the fuss is about.  Besides gassing up (got 9.04 mpg before the wind came up), we picked up a few snacks and kept rolling.  Lunch underway, we were making good time the rest of the afternoon until getting into stop and go (mostly stop) traffic in the Fort Worth area... as in 45 minutes to go 10 miles.

Down for the night where I wanted to be after 500 miles, with a temperature in the 30s at 5:00.  It will be below freezing tonight, so we'll be running some heat; we had the a/c on last night.  Even with the ugly headwind, the coach managed 8.34 mpg... running solo.

We have some more long days ahead, but I am guardedly optimistic.  We should be behind the cold front after a chilly night, but hopefully the wind will be lighter.  Optimistic?  The "patch job" I did on the top of the coach held up in the wind today.  I will keep my fingers crossed that it makes it the rest of the way as we head into even colder weather tomorrow.

I was originally planning to make this trip solo, but it has great having Steph as the copilot-in-training; it is a treat to get to spend time with our kid.



No comments: