Monday, December 27, 2021

Where the Queen sits...

 

Another quip from my dear ol' departed Mother.  If I were to ever ask, "Where should I sit?" her reply was always: "Where the Queen sits - on your ass."  My Irish family upbringing.  ;-)

This isn't just about "where to sit," but also "where is my seat?"  That's seat as in: the original Vespa seat for my scooter.  When I asked Joan, I found out the original seat was in our storage unit.  I like the Corbin seat I have, but I was feeling I might try a change.  Well, back to the original seat.  The Corbin seat is a bit wider at the nose (front of the seat) and more firm; I'm OK with firm.  Also, with the "bomber jacket brown" leather, the Corbin is better looking (to my eye) - it sets the Vespa apart.  The original seat allows me to slide back a bit further, and speaking of sliding: the fabric on the seat is "grippier" than the Corbin.  Not sure if that is a plus or a minus; I know Joan does not like the slipperier feel of the leather on the Corbin.

Fortunately, it is a relatively straight forward bolt on/bolt off to change the seats.  Well, except there is a bit of aligning that needs to be finessed so that it latches properly.  After mounting up the original seat today, it took me several tries to get the alignment right for the seat to latch... and then it wouldn't unlatch.  Well, that is going to be an inconvenience.  The seat opens with a button you push on the dash - I couldn't push that button and pry up with both hands, so I had to ask Joan to come out and push the button while I pulled.  Yeah, that worked.

I bit more adjusting on the alignment and all is good.  I took the scoot for a very short test ride up our street.  I'll have to give a longer, higher speed test before deciding which seat to stay with.  This original seat sits me up just a bit (maybe 3/4") higher, and at speed, that may be enough to induce noise into my helmet.  I'll give it a good run tomorrow or Wednesday.

In the meantime, a couple photos of the original seat re-installed...



I know where I'll be sitting... I don't recall any photos of the Queen riding a Vespa.  ;-)


No comments: