Saturday, December 11, 2021

I need to get out more...

 

We were in a hotel last night when we got the texts that the flight was cancelled.  We are rebooked for another flight tomorrow morning (one flight out each day at this small airport).  So, we are here for another day, but it was no problem getting the room for another night.  I remember years ago sleeping on the cold floor of an armory when the roads were closed while we were heading for a ski area.  This is better.

We slept in this morning until nearly 8:00 - it has been a week of very early mornings (heading out in the motorhome at 0:dark-thirty most days.  The hotel has a hot breakfast, DIY style; a decent offering of scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits & gravy, cold cereal, and something I've never seen before: a pancake maker.  You wave your hand in front of this thing, it pours out some batter that runs on a little conveyor belt that gets cooked on both sides, and then pops out onto your plate at the end.  I was fascinated by the process and apparently not the only one: everyone in the breakfast room had to come over and make two little pancakes (that's how they come out) to watch it do its thing.  As a nod to the former television show Hee-Haw: "Hooowheeee!"

 

I don't think we'll be going anywhere today, so I may have to walk laps within the hotel.  The snow has stopped, but it is damn cold out there, and I didn't have room in my backpack to bring my hiking boots.  Looks like there must have been about 4" of the evil white crap out there this morning; my view from the 4th floor of the hotel...

 

So, not much to do today, but we are safe and warm, with a comfortable place to sleep; Steph and I are together, instead of getting stranded after we split up in Chicago.  One more day away from my Honey, the big furry boy, and the Tropical Tip.  Although, when I talked to Joan this morning, she said a "cold front" is coming in later today (high in the 50s) at home... I'll be dressed for it.  ;-)

Sitting here in the hotel room, I realize I have changed my way of traveling rather significantly over the years; we used to fly everywhere (whether our own plane or flying commercial), so hotel/motels and rental cars were a part of daily life.  This is the first time I've had to stay in a hotel in over 5 years; it has been a decade since I had to fly commercial.  I am spoiled by having my own stuff (like a bathroom, comfortable bed, kitchen, and the usual house-type amenities) in an RV or a capable boat.  The hotel room is nice, but there isn't a dinette-type table, although it does have a fridge and a microwave.  The bed is comfortable enough, but not as much as what we have in the motorhome or at home.  I am not looking forward to all the waiting in line and cramped space on the 3 different planes I'll be on to get home (2 of them are the smaller Regional Jets).  I am used to packing once (one big packing event for the motorhome) and then not having to schlep stuff in and out for as long as we're out.

I really appreciate our usual way of traveling.

-------

Well, we did get out.  To stave off the cabin fever, Steph and I ventured out to get some kind of lunch.  There was a Subway at a walkable distance Pilot Travel Center... but, it wasn't open.  A Mickey D's across a snow-packed 4 lane highway didn't look like fun.  It was colder than a Minnesota well digger's gizzard (27º but "feels like" 17º) so we opted for a hot dog for me, corn dog for Steph, then trek back to the hotel...



Yes, I have a five-head in that photo above... most people have a forehead, but the hood on my jacket was set back just a bit so I could zip it up higher to help with the cold and wind.  In case I haven't mentioned before, cold and snow SUX.  The restaurant at the hotel opens at 5:00, so that will be as far as we venture this evening.

We need to be up at 4:45 tomorrow morning to clean up and get the hotel shuttle to the airport for an early flight... assuming the plane makes it in tonight.  I am enjoying the time with my kid (and kicking her butt at Monopoly Deal, cards), but I think we are both looking forward to getting back to our routines.


No comments: