Saturday, June 24, 2023

A day off...

 

Already?  You've been out for one day?

Yes, and thanks for asking.  There is always a transition for us when we move back into the motorhome.  It's nice to take a day off after the first day out so we can check out everything in the motorhome and cargo trailer and just kind of catch our breath.

Rufus did fine with the trip and finding his place in the coach.  Joan and I settled in pretty quick.  Different noises, different bed, tighter space - it takes some time to acclimate.  It is hot here in San Antonio (OK, in all of Texas right now), which means the A/C in the coach runs almost all the time.  It makes more noise than a home air conditioner, mostly because it is right over our heads... well, in the hallway between the front and rear of the motorhome.  This rig is small enough that one A/C can handle it, even in these hot conditions.  It is supposed to be 102º for a high here today.

I think we all slept good last night.  It takes me a while to get used to a different bed, but we like this mattress in the coach.  It is Winnebago's version of a TemperPedic.  But, it is different from the Select Comfort we have at home.

It always takes me a while to "find" everything.  We each put away our own personal stuff, but Joan puts away the food... so I have to poke around in the pantry and fridge for a few days to see where stuff is.

The driving is different.  After a few months of not driving the motorhome, there is some adjustment to the seating position (which is very comfortable, but different from the Equinox), and getting to the length and turning.  The motorhome is on a Ford E-450 chassis, so it is more like driving a truck or shuttlebus than a car.  Not a complaint, just an observation.

When it is hot like this, we close things down to make it easier to stay cool inside... sun shade and black out blinds pulled down.  One layer inside the windshield and another cover over the outside.  It makes a difference, but tends to feel like you're in a cave.  Nice to have a window shade on the non-sunny side open this morning.

We generally adapt pretty quick.  After a couple early mornings, it was nice to sleep in today.

--------

We did some "running"... no, not the type that requires putting one foot in front of the other.  We did some local driving.  When in San Antonio, I like to check out SAS: San Antonio Shoemakers.  In the last few years, they have been making some more stylish shoes.  Unfortunately, they don't offer their newest styles in fat-foot size (double wide).  Oh, eventually, they expand (get it?) a style to the wider sizes, but it takes a while.  When I asked about a couple different styles, the sales lady who has helped me over the years said, "That is one of our designers over there (they were setting up to shoot some promotional video) - ask him about it."

Since he wasn't setting anything up, I did ask him.  He was very cordial and excited about the new offerings (his designs).  He asked me about what I'd like to see... I overcame my shyness, and told him what I thought might be good sellers - one specifically, a boot for motorcycle riding.  They make a new tie boot, but I was thinking of something easier and faster to get on and off.  Turns out, he is a rider, too.  He asked, "What would you think about a boot with a zipper?"

"That would be perfect."  He went on to explain that the book I was looking at had the same comfortable sole and liner as the SAS shoes I was wearing.  "That is our best shoe design.  It is better on your feet than an athletic shoe."  That's why I wear them.  Well, that and the fat-foot sizes.

We didn't come home with anything this time.  Lunch at an In & Out Burger.  Tasty!  Then to a huge H.E.B. store reasonably close to the RV park, where we stocked up on food to take us through the trek north.  Back to the coach, it was early enough that I got in a nap.

Early this evening, I decided it had cooled down to 98º, so I offered to take Rufus for a walk.  I kept him on the grassy areas in the shade and off the asphalt road (didn't want to get his paws burned).  It was hot, but certainly less humid than at home.  When I took him inside (and he got a treat), I went back out for a solo walk where I could get some steps in.


 Plenty of empty sites here.

We'll get things ready this evening, including disconnecting water, dumping and disconnecting sewer, so we can be ready to leave fairly early.  The plan is to get through the mess of city traffic in San Antonio, Austin, Waco, and Dallas/Ft Worth as early as possible on a Sunday.  It's a plan.  One stupid driver can screw with that plan.  Traffic is always heavy along that stretch.  Austin is usually the worst.

We'll see how that works out.


No comments: