Thursday, June 1, 2023

Updating...

 

If you have any computer/phone/tech-device, you know that updates are one of those "hold your breath" moments: will this update screw up my device?  I've had it happen a time or 12 over the years - the update messes up the function of your device.  It's really a pain in the ass when it's your computer.

Fortunately, that isn't the case with this one.  I have a couple 360 cameras - both made my Insta360, a One R and a One X2.  I use them when shooting video from my motorcycle, and they both do a good job.  The One R was my first 360 camera, and I was impressed with the camera and the software (app) that allows me to make all kinds of cool edits.

The two cameras are very different form factors: the One R is kinda the shape of a GoPro (I hate GoPro, by the way), the One X2 is taller, flatter, and is more like a cell phone form factor.  Since getting the X2, I have pretty much neglected the One R.  Mostly because the X2 has a tripod socket on the bottom and doesn't need a "cage" (surrounds the camera) - it makes it faster to set up, mount it on the bike, and change batteries.  In the grand scheme of things, they produce very similar output.

 

You can see the cameras, along with my iPhone above; the One R is top right, the X2 is bottom right.  Having not been used for a while, the One R had an update that was necessary before testing out the camera.  I did the update.  Then, it wanted another update.  And another.  After the 7th update, I did more than just press the "continue" button... Insta360 is very good about providing update support for older cameras (there is a newer generation of each of these cameras currently), but I thought 7 of those updates seemed a bit extreme.  Yep, it was just trying to upload the last update over and over.

After cancelling that, I was relieved to see that the camera connects to the phone just fine and seems to record videos and take photos.  One in a row!

Now, I just need to find a reason to shoot some video with it.

--------

Stuff...

There is still a lot of stuff that needs to find a new home.  A bunch of dock lines, anchor rode, an anchor, fenders, flares (expired) with a flare gun, Sport-A-Seats, and more.  I listed this stuff for sale on Long Island Village Concierge.  Even more stuff that Joan declared "icky" that I took to the trash.  Joan goes down to the storage area under the house, drags stuff out, and leaves it for me to deal with.  Which is fun.  Because I look through it and it reminds me of some of the good times we had.

There is a tool bench that we will use in Arizona.  Probably don't need a wetsuit there.  Or a portable propane-fired shower (sure worked good on our Corsair trimaran, though).  Anyone need a Canadian courtesy flag?  (That's the flag you fly when your US based boat is in foreign waters.)


No comments: