Monday, June 19, 2023

We stand with west Texas...

 

No, not really.  But after several days of high heat and humidity, gusty winds, and blowing dirt, it is feeling like west Texas.  Without the tumbleweeds.  And miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles.  Currently, it is 89º, 68% humidity, "feels like" temperature of 101º, and wind out of the south at 23 mph, gusting higher.  That south wind brings blowing dirt... yes, it reminds me of the Annual Blowing Dirt Festival in west Texas (Jan. 1st through Dec. 31st).  Generally, the wind here is out of the southeast and doesn't bring that blowing dirt with it.

It wasn't pleasant on my morning bicycle ride and the wind had come up even gustier by the time I made breakfast on the griddle.  "Did you want a dusting of dirt on your French toast?"

Didn't even consider getting out on the motorcycle or scooter today.

We are down to 4 days to get the house prepped, cargo trailer loaded, bikes strapped down, and motorhome loaded.  All of that is not particularly pleasant with the current conditions... and there is no let up in sight for the next week.  We can't get it all done before 10:00 am, when wind generally ramps up.  Much of this can't be done until the last couple days, so it isn't like we've been putting things off.

Rufus didn't get his morning walk in because of the conditions.  He is ready for a change of pace, too...


--------

I keep saying it, but you know we are close to heading out when the guitars come off the wall in my music room...


That was a start.  I wiped down each guitar.  De-tuned the wood ones, to take pressure off the neck.  Deciding what to take and what goes into storage at an undisclosed location.


4 comments:

Earl49 said...

Rufus looks forlorn. He misses his walkies... but he is a good boy [drink].

It is 49° windy and intermittent rain here today. Not typical for June. The fiddle festival starts in Weiser today, and that traditionally marks the beginning of high 90's or triple digits. Glad I'm not xcmapling up there.

BTW the banjo is being delivered in the next hour, so it is too late for an intervention. At least you are far enough away to not hear my efforts to learn.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

OMG - the humanity!! Just kidding, of course... banjos aren't that bad... probably. If you listen close, there is a hint of banjo in the Doobie Brothers' song Black Water, and I do like that song. So, probably not as bad as, say... a root canal. Without novocaine. While laying on a bed of nails.

49º there?? That is, literally, the *polar* opposite of what we are experiencing. I'm guessing your weather weasels are saying, "This isn't usual for us this time of year." I wonder if they have to go to school to learn to say that with a straight face. And for the record, I have no idea what "xcmapling" is, but I am pretty sure I'm glad I'm not doing that, either. Sounds like a Canadian thing: cross country dog sledding, while stopping to tap some maple trees for syrup. I guess each part of the country has their own thing. We get people from up north who come down here and pull their kids on a tube behind a boat... I like to call that "trolling for sharks." But, I digress.

88º here right now, with a "feels like" temperature of 106º... I'd trade with you for a few hours if that was possible. Maybe splitting down the middle could be arranged? (Mother Nature is laughing!)

I did let Rufus out on the deck while I made breakfast. He was outside for about 12 seconds and said, "Nope! Let me back in!" But, all kidding aside, he is a good boy. (another drink)

Enjoy the new banjo. NBD... it doesn't have the same ring to it. I think kids use that abbreviation for: no big deal. We did tour the Deering Banjo Factory years ago (Joan's idea). I was somewhat surprised to hear that there is a steady demand for them. I thought banjos were like fruitcake: there's only a few of them out there, and people keep sending the same ones to each other to get 'em out of their house. Humor again. Is it true that instead of "case candy," banjos come with a home dentistry kit so you can remove one or more front teeth? Yes, I'm joking. Have fun with the new banjo!

Earl49 said...

xcmaping is a fumble-fingered way of typing "camping". Mmmmm....maple syrup. I was not on my game yesterday for typing anything, and that even carried over to guitar practice last night. "Trolling for sharks" -- I love it!

Yup, the weather guessers here are also pointing out that our normal daytime high for this point in June is 83° and babbling about how unusual this cold snap is. I've been joking with people the past couple of days: I guess this whole global warming thing is over now, eh?

The first task for the new Deering banjo is to use some old memory foam mattress tucked away to make a pad -- literally stuff it full of socks, to mute it for practice purposes. I actually like Alice and Duke, so that is the right thing to do. Then get a strap for it. I spent the weekend before last at a bluegrass and banjo camp. Of the 84 campers, 50 of them were in banjo classes. I was pretty well surrounded. Spent a fair amount of time hanging out with Tom Nechville at his booth. He makes very high-end banjos using a unique ball-bearing tension system for the head, akin to screwing a lid on a jar. Because of scheduling and the fact that I had signed up for guitar classes, I was not able to attend any of those banjo classes but that is OK too.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

So, the new banjo has arrived. Just so there is no concern, you are my friend, Earl... even if you play a banjo. I will treat you exactly the same... except you can't mention the whole banjo thing in front of any of our mutual friends. ;-)

I look forward to hearing what you think about playing the banjo. Except for: see the above sentence. I could make a "stuff it full of old socks joke, but that is going to take a LOT of socks.

Enjoy!