Friday, June 2, 2023

It's National Donut Day!

 

And you know what that means?  Yeah, I'm still not going to enjoy an actual donut.  Oh, don't get me wrong - it isn't like I'm boycotting donuts.  Last fall, the doctor determined my blood sugar numbers were at the high end of "pre-diabetic."  I needed to make a change in the way I eat.  Joan made a change in the way she cooks.  And bakes.

Has it worked?  Yep.  I still take a med to lower the blood sugar, but we have made a significant change in how and what we eat.  Who knew sugar is in almost everything we eat?  Well, unless you make an effort to find things that are sugar-free or reduced sugar.  Don't be fooled by labeling that says, "No Sugar Added"... generally, it means "no extra sugar added." 

My blood sugar numbers are better and my A1C is down.  When I saw them eating donuts on the Today Show this morning, I didn't even crave one.  Joan has baked donuts for me, with no sugar.  They don't look like what I'd normally go for at Krispy Kreme, but they are a nice occasional treat.


--------

More stuff...

Joan says, "Make that stuff go away."  Everything I had listed the other day has found a new home; hopefully it will be useful for those who bought it.  One of us keeps finding more stuff.  And for some reason, that stuff keeps getting heavier than the previous stuff.

The latest thing: a weight distribution hitch...


You put this in the hitch receiver on your truck and use the bars to put pressure on it when you hook up your travel trailer.  I no longer have a truck.  Or a travel trailer toy hauler.  I just want this to go away, so I am offering it at the low, low price of... free.  Bring a strong friend with you when you come to pick it up, 'cause it weighs a ton.  Not literally, but it is heavier than this rickety ol' back can lift.  

Update: less than 15 minutes after I posted the ad for the hitch, a guy from 2 blocks away was here to pick it up... he did bring his son with him to get it.  The son picked up that beast with one hand to get it out of the Rubbermaid bin it was in.


2 comments:

Earl49 said...

I can take or leave donuts, but my poison of choice is carrot cake -- nature's most perfect food! As a diabetic, I know that everything we eat turns to glucose eventually, because that is the only fuel that cells can use. The trick is in how quickly it converts and how your body reacts. As I tell my doctor when he asks about alcohol consumption every visit, "Doc, if I'm going to consume something that turns to glucose in two chemical reactions, it won't be beer. It will be ice cream".

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

In the words of the philosopher Homer Simpson: "Mmmm... donuts." Or ice cream. Joan found us a low sugar ice cream that takes care of that craving for me. I was never much of a drinker, so that was no issue. I do get a craving for a Peanut Buster Parfait every once in a while when we drive by the Dairy Queen. ;-)