Wednesday, June 14, 2023

That was the best, yet...

 

That's what she said.  The "she" being Joan.  She was talking about me.  Not bad for an old guy.

What?  I'm talking about my cooking prowess.  She asked for breakfast tortillas on the griddle this morning, and I obliged.  Instead of folding them over, I made them quesadilla style.  Eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, and cheese... heaped up between two freshly griddled tortillas.

The ultimate compliment: "These are as good as we used to get at Manuel's."  Those from this area will recognize that as high praise.  The show piece at Manual's was their huge tortillas ("was" because they closed up)... freshly made on their griddle.  The ingredients were always tasty.

I started with the potatoes, bacon, and raw sausage on the griddle.  I added a bit of Italian seasoning to the sausage, and a touch of onion powder on the potatoes.  With those all cooked separately, I poured in the eggs that Joan had scrambled.  I didn't add cheese to the eggs.  When the eggs were about half done, I added the sausage, and continued to stir/flip them.  I put a bit of oil on the griddle, and when that was spread evenly and heated, I added a bit of butter... then, put the tortillas on.  With one side just crisping up, I flipped them, put the whole bacon slices down, added the eggs/sausage, topped that with the hash brown potatoes, then topped all that with two kinds of cheese.  Topped that with the other tortillas.  Flipped them once to get that buttery goodness all around, and... done.

Joan had the table set, cut up fresh fruit (apples, bananas, strawberries, and Rainier cheeries, and she quartered the breakfast tortillas.  I have to agree with her: it compared favorably to what we used to get at Manuel's.

I was recently asked if I like the Blackstone Griddle, or if I thought it was more of a fad.  Yes, I really like it.  We are eating healthier because of it, and eating out less.  I don't think it's a fad; Joan says it has changed the way we cook... probably because I am doing the cooking on it.  She did say she has learned a few things from me, including how to take care of the cast iron pans she uses inside.  She is a great cook and prefers to have her kitchen to herself when making meals.  Having the griddle allows me to "do my thing" and keep the cooking smells out of the house.


File photo - that's not what I cooked for breakfast.  Joan already told me what she wants me to cook for supper... not sure all this cooking is part of my Trophy Husband job description.  ;-)

--------

Out on the CTX for a couple hours this morning, before 10:00.   It was 82º when I got up at 6:20am.   It will get into the low 90s today, with high humidity, putting the "feels like" temperature at: "Oh, my God, I'm MELTING!"  Add in a hot southeast wind, in case you aren't already feeling the swamp ass.   The weather weasels have issued a "Heat Advisory" along with "Small Craft Warnings" for the day.  Glad I got out early.

Mark (Lamkin) texted me a bit ago to let me know that it is cooler in Phoenix than here in the Tropical Tip... "Yes, but it's a moist heat."

 :knary 

 


No comments: