Sunday, June 18, 2023

Happy Fathers Day!

 

I already heard from my kid this morning - a text at 7:15... which means 5:15 Arizona time.  Told her I love her and get back to sleep, if she can.  We'll talk later. 

I have been a Dad for over half a century.  Kind of a cliche', but it is a life-changing responsibility.  It made me a better man.  And together with Joan, we guided that kid into being a great person.  We instilled a good work ethic.  Taught her to be a person of her word.  I'd like to take some credit in the caring soul she is, but that is all her.  We talked about her new position yesterday - she is still working for the school district, but is no longer a teacher; she is the secretary for the tech department of the district.  I probably have that job description wrong, but I admire the pride and awe that came flowing out with her words when she talked about her work... part of the job is writing the purchase orders for all the tech for the district.  Thousands of computers; all the stuff that goes with that.  Second only to payroll for what the district spends.  It makes my heart happy that she takes pride in this new position and is happy.

I loved when she was little and every day was a new discovery.  Joan and I were young parents, so we often describe it as "growing up together."  Steph doesn't remember when we carried her all over Yellowstone because she was too small to keep up on the hikes.  Her sense of humor developed early.  So did her love of animals.  Her adolescent and teen years kept us on our toes.  I still remember when we insisted that she get a summer job (other than working for us)... I did a "job interview" with her, including filling out a job application... she applied for 3 jobs the next day... and got all three!  We told her she only had to accept one.

The high school years were a different kind of guidance and worry - they really are going out into the world.  Then, taking her to college 600 miles away, tore a big hole in my heart, not getting to see that face every day.  But, that's what you do as a parent.

Later, when out of college, and she came to work with us in the studio was a delight.  She grew up in the photography business and having her work side-by-side with us was great.  When we started considering an early retirement, we talked about her taking over the business.  It was at that time that she decided to go back to college and get her education degree and become a teacher.  In one short time period, she graduated from college, quit working with us, got married, moved to Arizona, and started a new career.  Big changes for all of us.  We went from seeing her every day to "visits" each year - we went to Arizona, they came to see us.  We also gained a new family member... we love Dan like a son.

And now - more big changes.  Joan and I are the ones making this next move... so that we can, once again, see our kid on a daily basis.  I have been asked, "Are you sure about this?" and I have no doubt so have Steph and Dan.  I have not been shy about my resistance to "move to the desert"... but my heart wants to have that opportunity to be with our kid again.

Joan and I have had a lot of adventures over the years... we're ready for this next one.

And on this day where fathers get to be adored, I'll take it all in.  Remember all those Dad moments over the past half century.  And take pride in the great person we made.

Happy Fathers Day!


 


No comments: