Tuesday, June 6, 2023

You don't fool me...

 

We are rapidly approaching the dog days of summer.  Must be why I had a dream last night that we adopted a dog.  Well, more of a nightmare, because we didn't have a cat.  And I need my Rufus.  No, we have no plans of adopting a dog.  But, I digress.

In the heat and humidity, if you are going to do outdoor stuff, you need to do it early... certainly before mid-afternoon.  I got in my bicycle and motorcycle ride.  When I got home, Joan was scrubbing out Rubbermaid bins.  Who knew we had so many of those?  These held some of the tools I talked about yesterday; and other stuff.  They will get repurposed for packing in our move to Arizona.  I didn't get a photo of the long line of bins on the dock.

When Joan came in, she was dripping wet.  She looks good wet.  She did not feel so good about it... it may have been from sweat, but more likely from the water splashing back at her when she hosed out the bins.

After she dried off, she said, "You're on for making breakfast."  We agreed on: French toast, bacon, and sausage.  I got the griddle ready to go, while she put out the stuff for me to cook.  The plate that had the meat on it had two sausage patties, one strip of "the good bacon" (what I call the thick cut Wright's) and two slices of turkey bacon.  That turkey bacon stuff does not fool me - it looks more like an anemic photo of bacon.  I consider it more of a "delivery vessel" for whatever spice they put on it to try to make it taste like bacon.  It does not taste like bacon.

 When I asked about the turkey bacon on the plate, she said, "There was only one slice of the Wright's left in the package, and I didn't want to open a new pack.  I need to use up the turkey bacon. I'll eat it."

She bought the turkey bacon last week for a pasta salad she made.  I am not a fan of pasta salad, but I understand her wanting to make some "light" meals when it is hot out.  The recipe (which looked like a lot of work) called for turkey bacon.  Cooking turkey bacon is much like cooking that photo of bacon: it doesn't change much in color as it gets done, doesn't pucker up like bacon, and certainly doesn't taste like bacon.  Doesn't even taste like Sizzlelean - anyone remember that from the 70s and 80s?  I still try to forget that stuff.  Digressing again.

When I bring the food in, she plates it while I do the initial cleaning on the griddle.  When I came inside, there was a half slice of the turkey bacon on my plate.  No, she wasn't trying to "fool" me, she was sharing.  I ate it.  I savored each bite of my real bacon.  Big difference.

Some might say, "Man does not live by bacon alone"... do not believe those people.

On a completely different tack: today is National Drive-In Movie Day; on the 90th anniversary of the first ever drive-in that opened in the US.  (In Camden, NJ, 1933.)  I guess drive-ins lost some of their relevance when kids can "Netflix and chill" at home.  Anytime of the day or night.  Going to the drive-in was a big deal when I was a kid.  Even more important when I was a teenager.  Ah, the good ol' days.



2 comments:

Earl49 said...

I fondly remember family nights at the drive-in as kids. And I also remember "other" nights at the drive-in later as a teen.

We went out for a nice (late) birthday dinner for Alice last evening. You know she is enjoying retirement when she is too busy to schedule her birthday dinner until four days later. During the meal on a covered patio, thunderstorms kicked up, but no problem. We drove back home in heavy rain and marble-sized hail pelting the car. Then I played guitar on the back porch while we watched the storms pass by. Nice lightning show...

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

I remember evenings where you could watch the "light show"... seems that our thunderstorms here have been accompanied by gusty winds this past month. You aren't going to be outside in that!

Wish Alice a happy belated birthday from us.

Drive-in memories: there was one drive-in where we grew up that heaters you could put inside your car so it could be open more than just summer. Didn't last long, though. I liked that you could make your own popcorn at home and bring it. And get two shows for the price of one. And steam up the windows.