Thursday, June 29, 2023

Like a NASCAR pit crew...

 

We were 15 minutes early for the 8:00 appointment this morning to get the trailer jack replaced.  The service manager asked, "Is there anything else you need to get taken care of since it's here."

"Well, since you asked, the electrical cable could stand to be replaced - it has been repaired and still works, but..."

They were plenty busy, but the guy who would be replacing the jack came out with the new one in his hand and an impact wrench in the other hand.  I thought we'd be leaving the trailer, then coming back for it.  He said, "This won't take long."  When I asked about the electrical cable, he said, "Another guy is making up that cable right now, and he'll get that replaced as soon as I am done."

He wasn't kidding.  35 minutes later, both of those jobs were done, I had paid for the work, and we were driving away.

With a trailer that we can now get off the hitch, we rotated it in the site and got it ready to put the bikes back in it.  Joan's Xmax was slow on the start-up... looks like a new battery is in our immediate future.  I got it started and back in the trailer.  That bike hasn't been ridden much in the last 6 months, and we have been in some seriously hot weather (hard on a battery).  My bike fired right up, and went into the trailer beside Joan's Xmax.

Joan was ready for breakfast, so we went to the restaurant here at Hart Ranch (we thought we'd go out for breakfast somewhere in Rapid City while they were working on the trailer).  The food was good... Joan said she liked my French toast better.  Getting the site set-up, including the griddle is on today's to-do list.

Joan asked if I intended to get my bike out for a ride... "Well, don't you need me to do stuff around here?"  She had a couple things she wanted help with, then I was turned loose to: "Go for a ride - it's going to rain this afternoon."  I didn't have to be told twice.

I geared up - first time I've been able to wear a motorcycle jacket in several months.  Beautiful blue sky, temp in the low 70s - one needs to take advantage of that!  I road some of my favorite back roads here, and got surprised by gravel (chip seal, with heavier than usual coat of gravel) on part of Playhouse Road.  Onto Iron Mountain Road (my most favorite)... I stopped to take a photo and could see some seriously look gray clouds off to the northwest.


That view is to the southwest, so you can barely see the clouds in the distance.  I didn't take a 360 camera, so that is a shot from my phone.  By the time I came off Iron Mountain Road and into Keystone, I could see that I better beat feet for home if I don't want to get wet.  The most direct route back is more twisty roads.

I pulled up to the cargo trailer, took off my helmet and jacket, and went into the RV site to visit with Joan for a minute.  Seconds later, I felt the first raindrops.  I hustled to get the CTX into the trailer.  By the time I got into the motorhome, it was really coming down.  And, yes, there was some pea size hail in it again.  For those keeping score, that is twice now in the first 24 hours here.

Joan had the RV site all set up and had done some searching for a replacement battery for her Xmax.  It looked like a week or so to get one from Amazon.  I called around locally, and found that the local Yamaha dealer had a grand total of one of the right size in stock.  I told him I would be there as soon as the rain and hail let up.

True to my word, I was able to head that way when the rain eased up.  Once again, the hail didn't amount to anything significant.  I was surprised to find that the actual Yamaha replacement was less $$ than Yuasa replacement.  By the time I got back to the coach, the rain was coming down solid again.

If Mother Nature cuts us some slack, I'll get the battery replaced later.  For anyone keeping score, the battery on the Xmax isn't somewhere mid-frame like most motorcycles and scooters - it is in the front fairing, just below the windshield.  Some panels will have to come off to get access to it; not a technical job, it will just take some time and patience.


6 comments:

Earl49 said...

Sounds like good progress on "errands and stuff", and glad you got there safely. Rufus should enjoy his walkies around Hart Ranch once the weather permits.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

We're getting settled in. Rufus has already been out for a couple walks. The boy does like it here at Hart Ranch. We happen to be next to the folks who have Daisy (a large golden)... we called Daisy Rufus's girlfriend, but it was a summer fling - he didn't think he'd see her again. I saw her out once, Rufus hasn't seen her, yet.

One lady and her husband came by this morning, walking two little foo-foo dogs; the woman handed the leash of the one she was walking to her husband so she could come over and pet Ruf. She said, "He's very handsome."

To which I replied: "And, he is a good boy!" (drink)

He's a good traveler, but I think he is happy to be down for a while. Me, too.

Is your household back to 2 humans, 2 1/2 cats again?

Earl49 said...

Oh yes, back to 4.5 again. Alice was totally exhausted from her flute ensemble (65 total - including ten contra basses and two double contra’s) plus a 15 hour travel day coming home. Duke is soooooo happy to have mommy back. Lucy is happy too as she doesn’t have to share me either. Blackie the feral didn’t come around much for the last two days and yesterday morning he was limping badly. No visible injury, just hopping on the left rear leg. I gave him a full can of 9 Lives, some kibble and fresh water. He gobbled it all up. Poor kitty - that is all he will let us do for him. It’s a rough life being a feral.

We’re heading for triple digits this weekend. It has been a moderate summer so far, but July is just around the corner. We’re due for some heat.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

I feel your heat. Well, not right now - it is currently 63º here in the Black Hills and I gotta admit: it feels pretty good. I could do with a break from the rain, though; today may be the day.

Good to hear all is right in your household again. I do feel for Blackie - you wonder if they can see the house cats having a good life.

Earl49 said...

I'm sure he can see that. It is funny.... Lucy gets along well with Blackie - I've seen them sitting near each other outdoors in total peace, and even sniffing noses. They share the shop. Blackie has some idea that we are good to kitties.

Who knows what trauma happened to Blackie to make him so fearful of people? He is definitely more comfortable with Alice than with me, so I'm guessing there was a male involved. But we do what we can for him. He used to sneak into the house before we had to block the laundry room flap to contain Duke, but he always panicked if we noticed or came down the hall between him and his exit. The allure of regular food and a warm laundry room during winter was too much to resist. That is why we set up a warm igloo in the dry shop and fed him whenever he came around. We cannot leave a steady supply of food out overnight, as it draws racoons and other pests. So we have him "trained" him that we put out food whenever we SEE him, which means day time. Smart boy...

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Maybe in time Blackie will learn to trust you. It's nice that you provide for him.

I do have some concerns with this upcoming move and how Rufus is going to do with 3 cats on the other side of the door between the two places. He loves people and dogs, but the only time he's been around another cat, he has puffed himself all up and gotten snarly.