Thursday, December 14, 2023

License Plates...

 

You were assigned a new job in prison, Jim?  No, but thanks for asking.

I took a day off from posting yesterday.  Yeah, we did stuff (Costco, Lowe's, IKEA, In-n-Out Burger, etc) - the only interesting (and that may be a stretch) task was a stop at Lowe's, where we ordered a motorized shade for the patio door... yes, the same door that the plantation shutter we ordered didn't fit.  We did the measuring this time; a nice gentleman from Lowe's (our new buddy Clarence) walked us through the ordering process.  It will take a few weeks, then get shipped to our house... no waiting all day for an installation that didn't show up until almost 5 pm - we'll hang it.  This is a completely different direction from the plantation shutter. 

Today, we went our separate ways.  Permanently?  I don't think so.  Joan went to do some shopping, I made a trip to Walgreens (yes, I looked at each of the prescriptions before I left the counter), dropped those off back at home, then headed north and slightly west for some fine dining at Wienerschnitzel.  My belly hasn't had a Schnitz chili-cheese dog in many months... it was a happy belly.

I was back before Joan and went after a "someday when we have a garage again" task, and hung some old personalized license plates and a few routered wood signs from back in my wood-working days...


I am certain it will not add to the value of the house, but it won't be an eyesore for anyone passing by when the garage door is open - you can see that interior wall of the garage from the street.  You know we are close to finishing projects when this is how I spent part of my afternoon.


2 comments:

Captain Patrick said...

Wow Jim, another talent revealed. Beautiful work on those custom wood signs. I, too, am a woodworker. I learned a lot from Charlie James and also Norm Abram when The New Yankee Workshop was on PBS back in the late 80s and into the 90s. Charlie was a co-worker at McClellan AFB in Sacramento, CA. I was an E-4 in Law Enforcement. Charlie took me under his wing when I expressed interest in wood working. He made fun wood toys that he sold at craft fairs. Charlie helped me learn the basics. I sure miss him and his wife Ruth who hosted Kim and I for dinners and going to Oakland As baseball games.

How did you craft your signs with a router? Free hand, CNC or a combination of both? Do you remember Fred and Robbin Young from C-Brats? They were snowbirds at a resort called Gold Canyon Resort and Spa for a few years. There is fantastic woodworking facilities there. Robbin became an avid wood turner. They moved to the Green Valley area down by Tucson from Oak Harbor, WA a couple years ago. Russ and Toni Portner from C-Brats live west of Phoenix. Hey, it seems like a lot of C-Brats have moved to Arizona! What's up with that?

Anyway, I'm glad you put up your signs in the garage, they're pretty special and bring back some great memories.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Patrick - thanks for the fun comment! Sounds like you got some fine training early on! I used to really enjoy that show back in that time period, too. Wood working was good therapy for me... I didn't really sell signs, I just liked making them (made some for friends). Mine were all free hand - I didn't have a CNC router.

Yes, I remember Fred and Robbin, and Russ and Toni - all nice people. Roger and Janet Clark moved to the Tucson area a few years ago, too. And, Pat and Patty spend time in an RV park in Casa Grande this time of year. I can explain "What's up with that": you hit a certain point in life and you just don't want to spend time in winter weather... that's why we moved to south Texas years ago. We are in Arizona now so we can spend time with our daughter and son-in-law. Truth be told, I like the "winter" better in the Tropical Tip - it gets downright chilly overnight in the desert this time of year. But, we have all those good family feelings to keep us warm. ;-)

Best wishes to you and Kim,
Jim