Tuesday, December 26, 2023

One of us is under the weather...

 

... and the weather is pretty decent.  It isn't Murphy and it isn't me.  It is rare that Joan gets sick, but some bug got to her.  Negative Covid test, so likely the flu.  I wish there was something I could do for her, but she doesn't feel like eating.  Or moving.  Or sitting up.  Lung crud, overall body aches, pounding head.  Murphy has been laying with her in bed... I think we have determined that Joan is his person.

I took the boy for another "indoor walk"... not at good as yesterday (may have been beginner's luck), but still pretty good.  I'll try again soon, and have another treat reward at the conclusion.

That is a long, skinny feline...


Sunny and low 60s today - I may try for a short outdoor excursion with the furry boy if I can get Steph to come along and spot for me.  If we do it, it will be in the yard, not out in public.  Yet.

--------

With his harness on and leash clipped in, we sat by the door for a while...

 

Small steps - it is important to not frighten him at this point.  When Steph came, we took him outside and sat on the patio couch...


There was a noise that came from the construction sites south of us... he wasn't sure about that.  His head popped up and he looked around.  I told Steph, "Be ready.  I'm going to give him some line on the leash and see where he goes.  If he heads for the door, we know he considers the house his safe place.  If not, be ready to grab him."

He went to the door.  Not in panic mode.  I picked him up and carried him a bit further into the yard.  When I put him down, he sat beside me.  I gave a light tug on the leash and said, "Let's go."  He walked to the door.  No panic.  This was all my best case scenario.  And that's enough leash time for today.  We let him in, took off his leash, and got him a treat.

It will take a lot more repetition (all in due time), but this was a very good start.

This is how I worked with Izzy and Rufus to learn to walk on the leash.  It may take a couple months before we move onto a public sidewalk, but the yard (with the block walls all around) is a great place to learn and practice this leash stuff.


4 comments:

Earl49 said...

Such a good boy! And young Murphy too. ; - ). Sorry that Joan is under the weather. I was like that yesterday - maybe a Christmas dinner hangover. Too much rich food for one day.

We drugged Duke this morning and trimmed his claws before lunch. It went very well, and he is now safe to snuggle again. He has been happily napping on my lap for the past 90 minutes, but just saw a squirrel go by the back porch and jumped down to pursue. Seems like the Gabipentin is wearing off. He is usually sedate for several hours after, but it is far easier than taking him to the vet techs for “professional hugging” as Alice puts it. He is NOT fond of car trips. But he likes the cute young girls that fuss over him and offer yummy treats.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Earl. You know I'm going to say it: all us guys like cute young girls to fuss over us and give us yummy treats. And all things considered, I think Murphy is more of a good boy than I am. For now.

Glad to hear you got Duke's claws trimmed. We tried Gabapentin on Rufus once... I guess the dose wasn't strong enough. Joan used to catch him at a mellow time to clip a few of the claws, before he snapped out of it.

"Professional hugging" - insert your own joke here. ;-)

Earl49 said...

We use a full capsule with his breakfast that he wolfs down. A half capsule didn't do it for a beefy 18-pound cat. They both go back to sleep after first and second breakfast, so we are working with his rhythms. After 2-3 hours Duke gets really groggy and stays mellow and sleepy for several hours. We were able to trim his claws while I held him and did not even need a towel to make a "cat burrito" (the official term as used by the vet techs -- I've seen it on his chart).

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

I have traveled places where a "cat burrito" would have a very different meaning. If we had kept the name the Humane Society gave Murphy, and we wrapped him in a towel, it would have been a... (dramatic pause)... Bonito Burrito.

Yeah, I know: back in my room.