Sunday, December 31, 2023

Getting with the program...

 

At Urgent Care yesterday, the nurse practitioner called in 4 prescriptions.  I tried to get going on them right away, but there are some hoops you have to jump through... Pfizer has an offer where you can get the Plaxlovid at no out-of-pocket cost, after you enroll in their program.

You have to listen to a bunch of stuff, then agree to it.  I think I may have signed over the title to the car, along with my left testicle... which won't do them any good without a prostate... speaking of the testicle, not the car.  I don't know for sure - I think I am already experiencing the "brain fog" that some people get with Covid.  Yes, I'm kidding - I was in a fog long before getting this virus.

I jumped through the hoops; agreed to everything, just to get that recording on the phone to shut up.  The nice lady that I spoke with gave me a bunch of things to write down for the pharmacy, I called them, it went through just fine, and Joan headed to Walgreens to get my meds... something for Covid, for cough, an antibiotic (in case of any secondary infection), and some prednisone... 'cause "We want to pump you up."

Joan made a chart to keep track of what I'm supposed to take, and when.  The info on Plaxlovid says most people start getting some relief from symptoms in a couple days.

This virus came on fast, and hard.  Friday I was riding my motorcycle and all was good.  Friday evening, I started getting snotted up.  Not much difference first thing Saturday morning, and then the excrement impacted the rotating blades.  Queasy, dizzy, body aches that felt like I was hit by a truck.  A truck hauling a giant load of snot, then backed up over me again and dropped its load of snot on me.  Really, it was a LOT of snot.

I can still smell stuff, but anything I eat has a metallic taste to it.  

--------

I got scammed.

No, nothing to do with the prescriptions - they're all fine and I got the Paxlovid for free (after that lengthy phone discussion with the company).  This scammer is a bit closer to home.  And by "a bit," I mean: he lives here.

I am the "feed me" guy.  That has been my role since the time of Smoke, our first cat.  Not sure what I was doing when it was cat lunch time today (OK, a bit before), but while Joan went to pick up my prescriptions, Murphy rubbed on my leg and walked to his food bowl.

"Are you hungry, buddy?" I asked.

"Yes, I am."  

I thought there were two portions in the can, but when I went to feed him, there was only one.  I figured it was "brain fog" from the Covid.  No, it was someone scamming the old man.  In case you're worried that Murphy isn't getting enough food, he is getting more per day than Rufus was getting.  Rufus was 75% bigger, but Murphy is definitely more active... the boy burns more calories.

--------

Joan took this sunset photo today...


Pretty sky.

Plenty of fireworks around us this evening; fortunately nothing too close.  Murphy doesn't get too worked up about it - I know the sound can be very stressful for some animals.  We're making sure he gets plenty of attention and some toy playing.

2 comments:

Earl49 said...

Kitties lie through their pointy little teeth when it comes to food. Duke will finish his second breakfast that Alice puts down for him (one breakfast isn't enough). When I walk into the room later he carries on as if he were starving and had not eaten in days. He will sell it hard and scarf down a third portion vigorously.

I would err on the side of feeding Murphy too much, at least for now. He is a growing boy and you don't know much about his history. It will help him grow up big and strong and fluffy, just like Rufus did. If by fall he is getting pudgy, then you can cut his rations a bit. We bought automatic kibble feeders, and soon had to turn Duke's off. He needs to eat the wet food (Fancy Feast) first, and snack on the "Doritos" in limited quantities as a side dish. Not the other way around.

Glad you are doing better.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Thanks for the chuckle, Earl. ("lie through their pointy little teeth")

I like the mealtime routine. Izzy and Rufus both knew the word "Chow" - I would say that and their little heads would snap around. I am using that word with Murphy at each meal, but it hasn't sunk in, yet.

One thing I did with Ruf and I am continuing the tradition with Murphy: I put the food down, but they have to wait to get petted before digging in. Murph caught on to that right away. It's cute that he waits patiently for his neck rub before he eats.

I'm all about getting this skinny boy to grow up big and strong and fluffy.