Saturday, February 3, 2024

Catio On the Patio...

 

It was cool this morning, but sunny and clear - I was cordially invited to make us breakfast on the griddle.  While Joan and I were on the patio, Murphy was out in his catio...



 You can see where Joan has put carpeting and other accoutrements in Murphy's outdoor accommodations.

With breakfast done, I spent some time walking Murphy around the yard... and then decided: today is the day.

The day?  Yes, the day... this is the day that I am going to take Murphy out the front door and let him see some of the outside world.  My motive: expose him to the sights and sounds beyond our yard, so he can see that if a car drives by, it isn't going to try to kill him.

How'd he do?  Thanks for asking - the boy did fine...


Joan and I took turns with him; I usually do all the walking, but it was nice to have some "back-up" in case the boy decided to freak out or try to make a break for it.

This is a big deal - a graduation of sorts.  Murphy has done extremely well with our yard walks.  Joan's turn...


That's the sidewalk out in front of our house... I wasn't sure that we'd get beyond the driveway this first time out, but Murphy was ready.  I took him through the gravel along that exterior wall...



Steph and Dan had their garage door open; they had just finished installing a rack on the wall in there to hold folding patio chairs.  They were about to install a keypad lock on the door going into their house from the garage.  Joan volunteered me to help.  About that same time, Dan got a delivery of a stand made for his pizza oven.  OK, Steph and I will do the lock, so Dan can set up his new pizza oven accessory.

But, first I have to get Murphy inside.  I told him, "Let's go home"... he knows what that means when we're in the courtyard, but this is to a different door...


My little furry boy did great!

Steph and I got the doorlock keypad installed, then went to look at Dan's pizza oven stand - very nice!  I'm calling this a productive day... and it isn't done.  I've also been cordially invited to make burgers on the griddle for supper.


2 comments:

Jeff Collingwood said...

Love the catio. Want to get our cat, Chip, one when we get to Montana. Unlike your cat, our cat wants to be outside all the time. He spends every minute of the day trying to escape. It makes is pretty difficult to leave the trailer. Once outside he won't come back in until he says he wants back in. He only wants back it when he wants water, the potti box, or some food. Sometimes we can get him back in by shacking his snack jar. As a kitten he would stay our for hours, nowadays, he usually wants back in after 30 minutes. We worry that in an RV park he will climb inside someones compartment and they are moving to a new RV park. He has been know to go inside someones motorhome. So know nowadays he wears an Airtag. He would love the catio. I've seen them on Amazon. It would be helpful if I know the make, model, and dimensions. Or any link you have on buying one.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Jeff - here's the link...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B14YCBQ1?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Murphy seems to really enjoy it. Not sure how big or rowdy Chip is, but I don't think this catio would have worked for Rufus (big boy, didn't like to be "enclosed"). The wire is fairly light gauge - you need to use the enclosed tie-wraps to give it stability. It also needs carpet or something else so your cat doesn't have to walk on the wire platforms or ramps. So, with the stuff Joan added to it, it is more solid and comfortable. It can be folded for travel, but then you will need to add the tie-wraps again when you next set it up.

Joan also bought a cover for it. If the weather looks rainy, we roll it into our shed.