Wednesday, February 21, 2024

I could just sit around making music all day long...

 

If you said, "A line from the song 'I believe In Music' by Mac Davis, 1970," you get 25 bonus points.  If you said, "Another music day with Mark and the guys," you are absolutely correct, but no bonus points.

Joan came along today - she and Cindy planned an afternoon of shopping.  It was my turn to get the pizza, and I chose Oregano's; we ordered in the way to Mark's, then dropped me off at Mark's so I could start getting gear set up, and Joan and Cindy went to pick up the pizza.  Very nice!  We got to have reasonably warm pizza... and Oregano's, in case I didn't mention that. 

Mark had this sign by his door when we got there...


"Live Music"... true dat!

We had 6 of us there, so we set up microphones for the 4 vocals, amps, mixer, speakers, etc, etc.  Mark also invited a couple over from his volunteering "job" at the food bank - so 8 of us, 10 if you count Joan and Cindy, but they were out of there shortly after bringing back the pizza.

The wife in this couple (Mary & Greg) plays guitar; I don't think she has played with anyone before, so we invited her to sit in with us so she could have the experience.  Everyone was helpful with her, showing her how to use the songbox software we use, lending her a guitar, and letting her have a mic.  We had already been playing for an hour or so by the time they got there.

It was a good afternoon - everyone contributed on what songs they wanted to play, so there was not a lot of "I don't know, what do you want to play?" going on.

When Joan and Cindy got back, they went to another part of the house and worked on some jewelry Cindy is making... I guess that makes Joan part of Cindy's "sweatshop."

Then, the teardown - we seem to accumulate more equipment each week.  The long drive back home, where Murphy was patiently waiting for us.  The boy doesn't spend much time alone, so the occasional outing for Joan and me is good for him to get that experience of keeping himself occupied.

A good day.  And pizza.

And a nice sunset to wrap up the day...


Oh, and Joan had a "surprise" for me this evening: when she and Cindy were out shopping she picked me up a "Live Music" sign for my music room!




2 comments:

Earl49 said...

Great sign, and sounds like a great day. Having sat in with you and Mark a few years ago, I know how much fun that is. I have often commented about the hardest aspect of a jam -- finding something in common that everyone knows. We all have our personal favorites, and getting to that intersection where we all know a tune can be challenging. incredible sunset too.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Earl - with 6 of us getting together, we try to make it a point for each guy to have several songs they want to do; it keeps things moving. Plus, we are regularly learning new songs. I haven't counted, but there has to be well over 100 songs on our set list. It's a good bunch of guys, as well.