Thursday, February 22, 2024

Hello, Old Friend...

 

We made a trek to Goodyear this morning.  Time to check on the coach, and fire up the generator and engine; look it over; check out the cargo trailer.  We decided it would also be a good time to introduce Murphy to a longer car ride - one that doesn't end with going to the vet.

We started out with Murphy in his carrier, with the door open.  He wasn't sure he was supposed to come out, but with a bit of time and encouragement, he sat on the console between us.



 Based on this trip, I do believe the boy is going to be a good traveler.  Of course, we'll have to do some traveling to find out.

Once at the storage lot, we did what we needed to do with the motorhome...


Yes, that is the "old friend" I was referring to in the title.  Everything looks good, considering it has to be outside (under cover).  We did take Murphy in there, but kept him in the carrier.  He will get more of a chance to check it all out when we can get a trip in.

As long as we were out and about, we picked up mail at the Goodyear Post Office (where we share a PO Box with Steph and Dan... but not for much longer); then a stop at the new Chick-fil-A they built in Goodyear.  Then, back home.  And all along the way, Murphy did great... we did take a portable litter box, just in case (he didn't need it).

When we got home, Joan was heading to Fry's for a grocery run.  I have been wanting to take a ride to Tortilla Flats; it is about 65 miles away... it's a touristy "old west town" that is supposed to be located on a "good riding road."  Leaving before 1:00, Joan didn't think I'd be able to get there and back before 6:00, presuming the usual bumper to bumper traffic on the freeways on the east side of the Valley.

I took a surface road (Baseline) east to I-10, then north to Hwy 60 (which is a 6 to 8 lane freeway), and a few other roads, to get to the good riding.  By my calculations, it would be about 100+ miles of freeway for the 35 miles (out and back) of twisty road to get to Tortilla Flats.

The freeways were all moving good.  When I got to the twisty part, I pulled over briefly to set up a camera on the bike.  I shot video, but made some stills from that... because it is going to take a while to wade through the video.  Turns out, the riding was very good...





It was some fun riding (finally, after working through all the traffic).  The road surface is surprisingly good, the curves tight and twisty, but the big treat: the scenery is striking!






Canyon Lake is set nicely in the middle of all this...





A couple of one-lane bridges to cross...



I caught up to a couple on a Goldwing at one point.  Yes, there was the "looking in the mirror and seeing a scooter coming up on them" - the curves are tight; no way he could pull away from me...


And then, the "(touristy) ghost town" of Tortilla Flats...


I didn't stop and walk around - I'll save that for when Joan wants to make this ride.  Today, I was making time, with a plan to get home before the traffic got too bad.  So, back on the same road that got me here...


It was a good ride.  Longest I've ridden since we left the Black Hills last September.  I took the new scooter - it did an admirable job, considering the fast-moving traffic on the freeway.  And only one idiot that cut in closer than necessary while passing behind me - doing about 90mph as he cut hard to make his exit.  Did I mention: IDIOT.  Most of the time, I was doing 70 to 75 mph while on the various freeways, and keeping my head on a swivel.

On the Loop 202 on the way back, traffic going the other direction was stopped and backed up for a couple miles.  Going my direction, traffic slowed to about 50 mph briefly - I moved to the HOV lane (yes you can ride solo on a motorcycle in the HOV lane) and had reasonably clear sailing the whole way back.  And the timing?  I pulled into our driveway just before 4:00.  Yeah, I made good time.  And enjoyed the ride.  In the grande scheme of things, running up South Mountain is just as fun riding, and it is a LOT closer.  But, the scenery as I rode by the Superstition Mountians was pretty spectacular.

When I left Tortilla Flats for the ride home. I had Siri send a text to Joan to let her know when to expect me.  I told Siri: "Siri, text Joan - tell her 'Just leaving Tortilla Flats, on my way home'."  Siri did OK with that, except for calling it Tortilla Flaps... close enough, Joan will get the gist of it.

When I got home,  Joan and Murphy were out on the patio (and catio), enjoying this beautiful afternoon.


No comments: