Wednesday, February 7, 2024

You can see your breath...

 

Isn't it supposed to be hot in the desert?  Oh, yeah, and it will be... soon enough.  This morning, though, it was 48º... and not raining.  We are in the middle of 3 rain storms coming through Arizona.  Well, more like 1/3 of the way into this rain event.  But right now, it isn't raining.

After his breakfast, Murphy wanted to go outside.  I expected everything to be wet, but the pavers are mostly dry.  Joan put Murphy's harness on him.  Sorta.  He looked like he couldn't walk... you know, like when you get both of your legs into one leg opening in your underwear.  A quick "adjustment," and we were ready to go.  We stayed in our yards, because I wasn't dressed for being out in public.

The boy was a walking machine out there.  He mostly avoided the gravel (it's still wet), preferring to stay on the pavers.  Smart.

With all the rain, it is humid out there.  How humid was it?  Thanks for asking; 87% humidity.  That is Texas type humidity.  My sinuses are saying, "Make up your damn mind."  At 48º and 87% humidity, the weather weasels are reporting a "feels like" temperature of 45º... they have a sense of humor.  I could see my breath while Murphy and I were walking around out there.

Our home is at the northwest base of South Mountain.  To the west of us are the Estrella Mountains.  Watching the movement of the weather here over the last 3 months, I'm thinking we are in a location where the wet weather moves around us due to the location of the mountains.  Here's a shot from this morning, looking to the southwest at the Estrella Mountains...


 At 8:20, the sun is coming up over South Mountain.  You wouldn't know we're in a rain event.  For the moment.  In the meantime, the weather weasels creep me out: the love to talk about "snow warnings"... of course, it is for the northern part of the state (think: Flagstaff), where some of the higher elevations are going to get upwards of 2 feet of snow from this weather system.  I think it is flashbacks from our days of living in the frozen northland, but I still cringe when I hear "snow warnings" and talk about school closings in the northern part of the state.  It is supposed to get to 60º here today.  And more rain for the next 4 days.

--------

I went to Mark's house today to get together with the guys to make some music - as always, a good time.

Joan had supper just about ready when I got home.  Time to go over to Steph's so she and I could call my brother-in-law John to wish him a happy birthday; wish we could be together for his birthday... he and my sister Joan were a good influence on me in my formative years.  John has always been like a big brother to me.

Just enough time to take Murphy out for a walk before darkness set in.  A photo from the same general place as this morning...



No comments: