Friday, February 9, 2024

Going to Denny's...

 

... to get a gun permit.

Really?  Yes, really.  Last night I took a Concealed Carry Weapon permit class.  Pancakes and permits?  It was held in the Denny's a couple miles from our house.  The company that does these classes has them in all parts of Arizona, and I presume they make arrangements with different businesses for classroom space.

When I signed up for the class, Joan asked me, "Is this legit?  In a Denny's?"  It sure seemed so.  I didn't know what to expect; when I got there 10 minutes early, I was the first to arrive, other than the instructor.  The class was held in a section of seating that was off to the side... no doors or other way of closing off that section.

Don't you already have a permit from Texas?  Yes, I do, and thanks for asking.  It is still valid until it expires (in a couple years).  I prefer to have the license in my state of residence, and Arizona is in a group of states that offers reciprocity with 38 other states (along with Texas).

The class is an opportunity to stay current on laws and techniques.  Unlike getting a license in Texas, where it is two days of class and a requirement to show proficiency at a shooting range, this is a 3 1/2 hour class and no shooting... no doubt Denny's appreciates that.  This class wasn't as comprehensive, obviously, as what Texas required at the time.  Since I took the class in Texas, the laws have changed, and you can carry without a permit there, same as in Arizona.  

There were only 5 people in the class, although 2 of them brought someone with them.  Yes, you could order food and eat while the class was going on.  That really seemed odd to me.  The instructor had self defense items for sale (pepper spray and tasers).  There was a "guest speaker" who was there to sell you on an insurance plan to provide legal protection if you ever have to use your gun in self defense.  The instructor also did fingerprints (for a fee) at the end of the class.  You have to submit two sets of fingerprints when you apply for the AZ permit.  The State DPS does a background check on you - the reason for the fingerprints.  That's it.  If you pass the background check, you get the permit.

All in all, an odd experience.  For the record, I didn't have pancakes... I had one of their 55+ meals and got 15% off with my AARP card.  ;-)

--------

Starting the morning off with another kitty play date...


Nothing odd about that.


2 comments:

Earl49 said...

I'm so glad that Tango and Murphy have hit it off. They each have a kitty buddy now. Idaho is a free carry state too, but a 38-state CCW permit is useful if you cross state lines. Being 50 miles east of the Oregon line and about 60 miles north of the Nevada state line, that is easy depending on the trip.

31° and snow flurries this morning, with a dusting on the grass, but it will melt before lunch. The cats all say "Blechh" and I agree with them.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Earl, I am sorry to hear about your weather, but to protect the sensitive among us who are not used to that harsh language, I'm going to respectfully ask that you refrain from using 4 letter words like "snow." In the future, maybe you could refer to it as: "that evil white crap" or something similar so as not to be offensive.

Steph likes to refer to Tango and Murphy as "best friends"... I am more realistic with "two cats that like to play with each others' toys and occasionally sniff each others' butt." It isn't like they are frolicking around the house holding paws. Neither is an alpha, so they aren't sure on how to get started with any kitty wrestling. But, there is no issue with them being nose-to-nose... so, it's a good start.