Saturday, June 20, 2020

A night in the trailer park...


The term "trailer park" brings up less than great images to me; certainly not what I think of for most nice RV parks.  The place we are staying has seen a lot of changes over the years we've stopped while passing through.  I would say it was a reasonably high end place early on.  Then, a decade or so ago, when the fracking oil industry boomed, it became more of a semi-permanent place for some of those oil workers... it was hard to get a site for an over-night stop.

Eventually, some of these oil companies set up RV camps for their workers, and then the lower oil prices put many of them out of business... this park, once again had space for actual RVers.  We had moved on to other RV parks in the area, but decided a few years ago to give this place a shot again, because of the convenient along-the-way location.

These days, I wouldn't call it "fancy," but it has been kept up.  We are staying in what I call "the upper area" - not because it is fancier, but the sites are wider and longer... it is a better fit for our double towing length, even though we still need to unhook to fit on the site...


Many of these are "double sites," where you essentially get the site the coach is on and a smaller site next to it.  It works for us.  It is also a semi-permanent site for most folks in this upper area, those who are living full-time in their RV.  Sometimes, these places devolve into my idea of "a trailer park."  This place has, for the most part, stayed pretty decent.

Last night, we saw that side of it: plenty of people tearing around on golf carts and loud motorcycles.  It wasn't a problem, since we were inside with the air conditioning on.  About 1:30am, I was asleep when I groggily heard screaming voices.  I was thinking: "Damn kids," but Joan was obviously more awake than I was, and she got up.  Nope, a domestic dispute of some sort going on just across the street in front of us, and they've taken it outside.  No way I want to get involved in that - there is a reason that most cops feel a domestic dispute call is full of potential dangers.

Yep, just another night in the trailer park.  We're here another night, so I have to make some wardrobe choices: no shirt or a stained wife-beater.  ;-)  Yes, I am kidding.  It's probably just the folks across the street from us.  I haven't seen any under-age kids driving golf carts, and it is nice and quiet this morning.  Rufus is napping right next to me.  It's the start of a good day.


No comments: