Monday, November 23, 2020

Ever get that run-down feeling?

 

I had it twice this morning.  Our community has monthly fees we pay that covers, among other things, lawn mowing.  It is nice to not have to worry about mowing that small bit of grass that we have, especially when we are out and about for several months at a time.

The mowing used to be done by our own employees, but our board of directors decided to outsource it a couple years ago.  The company they first had did a nice job, so someone felt the need to replace them.  The second company was less than great.  We are on the third company now, and the look of the lawns is hit and miss: they use weed-eaters in some areas, where (my opinion) mowing that same area would look better.  It sometimes looks like a bad haircut.

But, no, I don't get run-down from the look of the grass.  They use a riding mower that apparently will exceed the 15mph speed limit in our community, and frequently come darting out between houses or from behind bushes.  I got to see that up close and personal this morning while riding my bike.  Twice.  It happened once a couple weeks ago, as well.

The possibility of getting your body chopped into tiny pieces adds a new challenge to the bike ride.  Frankly, I'm OK with just being out of breath.  ;-)  I can see where it might be hard to see me: I was wearing an neon green shirt with reflective stripes (like what highway workers wear).

Hey, it's 2020.  Speaking of which... one week from today, there will be more cutting.  Assuming I don't get run over by the lawn mower before that.

---------

High Key...

Back in our studio days, we had different sets and shooting areas, one of which was a high-key cove.  It's how photographers get that shot with an all white background, but still have good saturation on the subject (or product).  It can be done with white seamless paper or an area with a sweep-type background, painted white.

Rufus has his version of a high-key cove...


Yeah, it's the shower in my bathroom.  Sometimes, he will go in there and "clean up"... cat kinda cleaning up, with a tongue bath, not taking a shower.  Other times, he sits in there while I'm shaving, so he can keep an eye on me.  He's a stylish boy.

----------

I worked on some vocal tracks again today; that's about 10 days in on this song.  I switched some things around - swapped out one of the dynamic mics and went with a large diaphragm condenser mic.  Yeah, that gave me more of the sound I was looking for on this particular vocal.  Mark had sent me a nice piano track, which inspired me to work some more on the vocals.  It's coming together.



No comments: