Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Waiting again...

 

It could have been done easily on FaceTime or Zoom.  Well, most of it.  OK, the "visiting with the doctor" part.  Not the pre-surgery visit at the hospital.

The doctor visit was an hour drive to get there, waiting an hour and 15 minutes to go from the big waiting room to a small exam room.  Then another 15 minute wait for the doctor.  This is somehow different from waiting to hear the "good news, bad news" talk.  I'm committed.  The doctor asked if I had any questions, told me about the "homework" I'd need to do the day before: drink this stuff, then shit 'till it comes out clear.  Oh, and the "here's what to expect" talk.  Surprise - you get to have a bag for about 10 days.  No driving or riding the scoot during those 10 days... something about "Not wanting you to tear a catheter out..."  That drives the point home.

With that done, it was 3 hours before my pre-surgery appointment at the hospital.  The doctor said, "Unless you have something else to do, I'd suggest you go there right now - they should be able to get you in ahead of your scheduled time."

Surprisingly, that did work out.  Less than a 5 minute wait in Reception, then on to do the paperwork (making sure they'll get paid).  The lady that did my paperwork took us to the surgery check-in, and another 5 minute wait until I was taken to an exam room, where one nurse asked me a lot of really personal questions ("How are your bowel movements?"  "Fine, thanks, how are yours?"), and another nurse took blood and administered an EKG.  When she took the probes off, I asked, "Is this the part where I'm supposed to scream 'Kelly Clarkson'?"... apparently, she did see The 40 Year Old Virgin.

The last thing was the Covid-19 test.  Yep - up the nose.  You feel it, but it wasn't as bad as some have said... the nurse told me that a lady cried when getting her nose rammed this morning... she felt bad.  I was able to hold in the tears, mostly so she wouldn't feel bad.

All of that at the hospital took about an hour.  I have instructions on where to go on Monday when I come back for the surgery.  Expect two days in the hospital.  Expect to be up and walking around soon after the surgery.  I'm hoping not to expect all the things you have to sign off for acknowledging: "If your guts fall out on the floor and someone steps on them, you will not hold us responsible."  So, who is responsible for that?  And, how often does that happen?  I mean, it must have happened at least once if they have to tell you about it.  Yeah, I'm kidding.  Apparently, it happened more than once.  Kidding aside, there was quite a list of all the bad shit that could happen.  They don't tell you this stuff until after you're already invested in getting the surgery done.

We had planned on going to the motorhome between these medical visits, so we picked up a Jimmy John's sandwich and went to the coach after.  Joan had a few things to put back in the coach, I juiced up the battery on the boat, then we sat at the dinette in the motorhome and ate our sandwich.  We were done with all that at the motorhome before the time we were originally scheduled for the pre-op check-in. 

Home in time for Rufus to adore us.  Joan did check our security cameras while waiting, to look in on Rufus and make sure his noon feeder opened on time.  Because... he's a good boy.

I get to go back to life until Sunday after breakfast... apparently I won't want to be more than a step or two away from the bathroom after drinking the go-shit stuff.  Not to be confused with the "special soap" they gave me at the hospital: "Put this all over yourself Sunday night and Monday morning."

"All over myself?"  I think details may be important here.

"Well, not on your face or your privates."

That is an important distinction from "all over yourself."  And, how do you rinse it off without it... um... running downhill?

You don't get details like this on the doctor/hospital shows on TV.  Oh, and yes I am aware that Al Roker went back to work 2 weeks after this same robotic surgery... he was out walking around New York the day after he got home.  For the record, I haven't walked around Manhattan since 2009, so I'm a bit out of practice.

Here's what's happening in your neck of the woods.  (cut to local)

-------

One unpleasant thing to hear today: no riding for at least 10 days after the surgery.  That's an estimate on how long I'll have a catheter.  No driving during that time.  I specifically asked about riding... "No."  I'm hoping I'll be able to get some riding in before Sunday - it will have to hold me for a while.  I have a new Vespa I'd like to wear out before considering the next one.

-------------

Rufus does his best walking on the leash around sunset.  He got nose-to-nose with a couple large dogs; all was well until the bigger of the two dogs curled its lip... he made a slight lunge towards Ruf and Rufus took a swing with those razor claws.  The big dog saw it coming and pulled back.  No harm, no foul, no contact.  Ruf didn't back down.

We continued our walk.  A car and a golf cart stopped while passing by and asked about Rufus.  He seems to be enjoying the attention and looks right at the people when they are talking to him.  Added bonus: he's a good boy.  ;-)

We had this evening view between houses while heading back home...



 



2 comments:

Bob & Laurie Fritz said...

Good luck on your surgery Jim. Happy Thanksgiving to you and Joan

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Thanks, Bob and Laurie - happy Thanksgiving wishes to you, as well. 2020 has been unusual; hope we can all find reasons to be thankful.