Thursday, November 26, 2020

The smells...

 

It may not be a gathering with family and friends, but the house has that delightful Thanksgiving Day smell.  Joan made apple crisp this morning (love that smell), and the smell turkey breast has filled in any olfactory sensors that didn't get a work-out earlier.

It is just the two of us people and one big furry boy.  Rufus doesn't get people food, but he knows something is up.

We watched the parade (Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade) this morning, I visited with my brother-in-law John (in Iowa), and we had a nice visit with Steph.  Not the same as being face-to-face, but it is good to hear their voices.

Joan and I will say what we are thankful for across the table she has already set.

In the back of my mind: a call from the hospital yesterday to let me know to be there are 5:45 Monday morning.  Mine is supposed to be the first surgery of the day for this procedure.  Yeah, that's early... the hospital is about an hour away.  I think I'm going to need a nap Monday afternoon.  ;-)

Happy Thanksgiving from our home to yours.  If you are reading this, you have made it through everything 2020 has thrown at us all, so far.  There is hope on the horizon with the vaccines, and I am hopeful that people will get beyond the divisiveness and come together once again.  I wish you all the best, and stay safe out there.

-----------
A new survey found that 80% of men claim they help cook Thanksgiving dinner. Which makes sense, when you hear they consider saying "that smells good" to be helping.  ;-)

Joan did a great job with our Thanksgiving meal.  Yes, I got a bit verklempt when we said what we are thankful for.  I am married to a great woman.  We have a wonderful kid.  Oh, and Rufus - he's a good boy.

We ate 3 hours ago, and the house, once again, is full of great smells.  You notice even more so when you come back in from taking Ruf for a walk... Joan already took some of the turkey, boiled the bones for soup stock, and turkey noodle soup is in the making.  I am still stuffed (get it - stuffing reference) from the main meal, so I'll probably just have half a sandwich and some soup.  Then, probably another nap.  Or just straight to bed for the night.


2 comments:

Bob said...

Jim, I will have you in my thoughts and prayers on Monday. Bob Jarrard

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Thanks, Bob. Appreciated.