Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Security...

 

We live in a gated community.  There is a security building at the gates.  Over the years security procedures at that gate have changed: we used to have two security guards on-duty at all times, and the gates were opened/closed by the guard at the gate while the other guard made patrols around our village.  A couple years ago, a change was made for an electronically controlled gate, windshield sensors on owners' vehicles that activate the gate.  A visitor's gate has a call box where the owner can be contacted and use their phone to open that gate.

That usually works.  Payroll was reduced, with our board of directors and village manager deciding that only one guard would be necessary, considering the electronic gates.  That often doesn't work... if there is a problem with the gate not opening and the guard is out doing rounds, there can be angry owners at the gate, waiting to get through.  Because there are a significant number of rentals within the village, access for those folks needs to be addressed.  It is not unusual for renters to be unaware of rules within our community (OK, sometimes intentionally) and security needs to visit with them.  There are times when 2 guards are necessary (weekends, holidays).

Politics and budget get discussed as the board looks for ways to keep things secure and all residents satisfied that their HOA fees that pay for security are being smartly utilized.

But, that isn't the security I see on a daily basis.  Rufus handles my personal security.  When I use the bathroom, he stands on-watch at the door.  Really.  His back to the doorway, keeping a watch up and down the hallway to make sure no one gets through while I am... occupied.  I am happy to report that there have been no security breaches since Rufus self-appointed himself to that position.  I am able to pee, poop, shower, shave, and brush my teeth without concern.

While he hasn't had to put it to use, he does have cat-like reflexes (duh), can be stealthy as a ninja, and has claws of death.  I asked him, "Would you take a bullet for me?"

He said, "What?  Oh, hell no!"  But, I know he cares.  It might be just to make sure I am able to feed him on schedule... but I know this big furry boy loves me.

Sometimes the appearance of security is enough.


No comments: