Friday, November 6, 2020

Them Changes...

 

If you said, "Buddy Miles, 1970," you get 200 bonus points.  If you said, "Isn't that the song you generally opened with when you were in the Flippers?" you get an additional 500 bonus points.

This post isn't about some good ol' music; this change is a "seat of the pants" kinda thing.  Well, not actual pant, because I am wearing shorts today.  I really like the OEM seat that came on my Vespa... it is kinda flat, with not much raise from the rider to the passenger portion.  It is also surprisingly light weight.  No, I don't carry it around, but you notice that light weight when you raise the seat to get at the storage under there.  It is also a bit taller than the seat position on my previous Vespa with the Corbin custom seat on it.

I did keep the Corbin seat (put the OEM seat back on the bike when I traded it), in case I wanted to use it on the new scoot.  Today was seat swap day.

Every change you make affects other things down the line.  I had AF1 Racing swap out the windshield from my old bike to this one.  The different seating position put my head about an inch higher, and it is just enough to make more noise in my helmet.  I considered getting new attachments for the Laminar Lip on that windshield, to raise it an inch.  I did a lot of experimenting with that Laminar Lip before committing to the position.  If I change the position of that Laminar Lip, will it change the wind flow from the windshield?  Them changes.

Will the Corbin seat position me lower on the bike?  Time to find out.  The swap-out is easy: two bolts.  Adjust the seat alignment to make sure the latch works - time to take it for a test ride.



The OEM seat is all black; the Corbin has a diamond weave leather in the seating area, black on the sides.  I wasn't sure if I'd like the "distressed bomber jacket brown" of the leather with the blue, but I think it looks sharp.

I ran the scoot across the causeway and back, so I'd have the chance to get it up to 60mph or so.  The seat height difference is enough that the wind roar in my helmet is pretty much gone.  Win/win.

My needs are pretty simple.  ;-)


No comments: