Saturday, January 2, 2021

And that's a wrap...

 

Not talking about the chicken tortilla for lunch.  Because Joan made meatball sandwiches.  No, this is a wrap on the holiday season.  We generally put our Christmas decorations up the first week of December (coincides with our anniversary) and take them down before New Years Eve.  Knowing that things would be a bit different this season, we put them at the end of November, before I went into the hospital.  I enjoyed the tree, lights, and other stuff this past month.  But, today was the day for it all to come down; as late as I recall we kept things up.  I know Joan was agreeable for the extra time, because I am like a little kid with the lights and stuff.  I am always up before her in the mornings, and I enjoyed the glow from the lights on the tree after telling Alexa to "turn on the tree."

I started on the outdoor lights; easy enough because I didn't put up as many this year; just enough so we didn't look Grinchy.  Joan brought up the plastic storage bins so I could put stuff away.  Yes, she's still doing the "heavy lifting."  She put away all the hanging stuff in the house, then I went to work on the tree: taking off all the ornaments.  She bought a divided container for our special ornaments and I put away what I call "filler ornaments": they look nice, but don't have special memories attached.

We joke that we always forget one thing... a plaque on the wall, a Christmas towel by the sink.  I don't think we've made it through a year where we didn't find one last thing after stashing all the Christmas stuff.  We congratulated each other that, "Yep, we got it all."

I left the deck to take garbage and check mail.  When I got back, we put down the sun screens on the deck, and Joan put our flag back out (the wreath on the deck hangs on the mount for the flag).  I was settling in to make a post for today when I noticed...


 Yep... that's what we forgot.


No comments: