Monday, January 4, 2021

Oh, yeah...

 

That's flat.  With the scoot in the cargo trailer, up on the center stand, and not in bright sunlight... I put some air in the tire and found the puncture.  No idea what it was, but it left a hole big enough that the air comes out as fast I the compressor was putting it in.

Decisions: patch it or replace a brand new tire (less than 1,000 miles on the scoot)?  Do I trust a patch?  Pulling the rear wheel off would be a good time to switch out the speed ring on the real wheel and put a differently calibrated ring on there, which would add 5mph to the top speed and make the speedometer more accurate.   Something to consider.

If I had a shop with a lift, I would remove the wheel myself and take it somewhere to get a new tire mounted.  Nearest Vespa shop?  About 350 miles away.  More decisions.  Any place locally to do this?  Last time I had a motorcycle/scooter tire mounted locally, the shop (a Honda dealer) scarred up the wheel.

I think I'll visit with my friends at the Vespa shop where I got this new scoot before making any of those big decisions.  Of course, they aren't open today.

One of us (it wasn't me) said, "You have the time, and you are off the road and safe.  No rush."  We'll see how long it will take to get a new tire in.  Decisions.


No comments: